3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Swanndri Wool  (Read 672 times)

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Swanndri Wool
« on: January 16, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Does anyone own a Swanndri Wool garment? What is your impression of this wool product? Is it suitable to use while hunting?
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Swanndri Wool
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Most definitely YES to both your questions.

2 Shirts a Coat and a Cagoule 15+ years on all of it

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
Do you have a place to buy that long hunting coat that Brunner used to sell?

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:06:00 AM »
I bought a Swandri three yaers ago in New Zealand.
It's what a lot of Kiwis use for hunting. Silent, Warm (even when wet), and very well made.
Cool stuff!
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
I got a bush shirt for Christmas. Very heavy duty and warm. It is a little long for my taste, so I am going to have the bottom cut off a bit, and maybe use the excess material for a handwarmer pocket on the front, like a sweatshirt.

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
I have lots of it. I keep buying more!   I bought a coat, vest and pants from Granpa (Angelo @ Bison Gear).  I've bought most off @bay.

Shirts seem to run about a half size small, so I order up one size.

I really really like it.  It has a very tight weave.

Don't think you need to get the old camo stuff, the plaid works great as well as solid gray and black.

Angelo told me that Paul Brunner used to have a setup with a fan blowing at a coat, with a lit candle on the other side of the coat to show how wind proof the weave was!
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I have a woodland camo Swandri coat.  The best garment I have period!!  I just wish I would ahve bought more stuff as I have no contact number for them.  Light weight, very unrestrictive with movement, super quiet, warm in wet or super cold ( have been bow hunting in weather belwo zero lately ).  Awesome to hunt in pines with this coat.  I can not say enough good things.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Are these the same wool garments that were formerly offered through Paul Brunner? I'm probably mistaken, but I thought that wool was called, "Swannie" as opposed to Swanndri. In any event, does anyone have a contact phone number or is there a link to a retailer who sells Swanndri wool (or Swannie wool, if it's one and the same). I was able to find a link, but it did not appear that any of the products were offered in camo.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
It's the same, and they no longer offer it in camo.

It is possible to get camo pieces off of some large auction sites or in the classifieds here.

As mentioned above, plaid works great as does solid colors in dark green, gray, or black.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
I used to have a camo and a gray Swannie and the camo vest I got back when Brunner sold it. They both got burned in a house fire so I had to replace the Swannie with a non-camo version. It's still a great coat. They don't make the vest anymore. The shipping from New Zealand is a little spendy if you order from their website, but worth it in my opinion.    http://www.swanndri.co.nz/default.aspx?T=2
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I have the cammo coat from a Kiwi I was stationed with and one that is olive colored.  It is the best.  I would say they are the single most valuable jackets I own for hunting.  Even when wet theya re warm.  they are quiet and they are reasonable in price considering mine are over 15 years old and show zero sign of wear....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
I understand their offering the original bush shirt in camo again-woodland type camo that is-
 http://www.sheepworld.co.nz/originalswanndri.htm

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
That's pretty expensive for a jacket. Ron Laclair has jacket made of wool for way less.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
the link that rtherber listed shows pricing in USD, which converts in to a pretty good price...also, the shipping is FREE
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 04:01:00 AM »
Hey all,

I have some questions about these clothes.

What is the difference between the Swanndri Original Hooded Bushshirt and the Swanndri Mosgiel Bushshirt?

The Mosgiel seems to be about 43 dollars more expensive.  The Hood seems to be a little more full, But does anyone own one of these articles or the other to compare them for me?

Also,  They call these bushshirts.  ARe they shirts or light wool jackets like a sweatjacket?
What temperature are they rated for?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Gillispie
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
The difference is the price of the zipper as opposed to the tie front. The zipper allows you to wear it like a jacket in that the jacket can be totally unzipped whereas the original must be taken off as a pullover. They are light jackets. Make sure you order using the European sizing otherwise you will order too small. The "Ranger" and "Ranger Extreme" are fine products also and come in muted plaid colors.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Bob B./

Any sizes to accomodate us tall folks!  I really like that plaid ranger shirt.  I've been looking everywhere for a quality heavy plaid wool shirt but no one seems to carry tall sizes.  I don't understand it...I'm 6'4" & I don't feel all that tall anymore with some of the kids I see running around these days.

Brent
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
After reading this thread (and checking their link that rtherber listed above) I ordered a Ranger Shirt.  Even with the conversion to US dollars it's still a costly product, but....VERY well made, good looking, and WARM.  It was 12 deg @ 5:00, and I slipped this on over a cotton t-shirt and shot my bow outdoors until it got too dark to see.  Delivery was about 2 1/2 weeks from NZ, which is better than some of the US suppliers of specialty gear. I suspect it will be a favorite for many seasons.
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
I had mine since 1993 and bought it from Paul in Pittsburgh. I just sold it this summer because of my bad disease, BEER! It looked just as good as the day I bought it. Great stuff.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
My nephew used to bowhunt with me in Wisconsin.  A big boy using a 5XL Swandri coat coat from Brunner.  When he quit bowhunting, I inherited it.  It really is about a 3XL size that fits over anything I wear (being an XXL size myself).  I wear mostly KOM wool but when it gets nasty that's what I wear.  The stuff is a much denser weave than the KOM...wind proof and almost waterproof.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©