3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NOOB to forum  (Read 401 times)

Offline Johner

• Trad Bowhunter
NOOB to forum
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Chris Johner and I just wanted to drop in and say hi.

I am new to the traditional arena and am looking forward to getting back into archery.  When I was a teenager my dad drug me to the range everyday for years but I only shot compounds.  I got to be pretty good and won my fair share of trophies at shoots but as with most teenagers gave it up when I could drive.

In the last couple of years I started thinking about shooting again and have finally jumped back aboard. I chose traditional because I kept thinking back to this guy in our archery club back in St. Louis that went bonkers and started only shooting traditional .  He even started building his own bows, then one day he disappeared to Alaska (you all know him as STEVE H).  

I got lucky and was able to wrestle away my fathers Black Widow MAII (graybark 56# @ 30") as he is no longer able to shoot.

the one question that I have to start off with is HOW DO I GET MY ARMS/SHOULDERS back into shape without hurting them.  I spent 10 years in IT so I didn't use my body much.  On top of that I am now a student and don't get much spare time taking 18 hours.  

Any help you could give would be appreciated.  

Chris

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NOOB to forum
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
:wavey:     :wavey:

Not knowing your draw length, you may want a lighter set of limbs to work your strength back up slowly and form too. Lot different shooting a recurve than a compound.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Johner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
"Lot different shooting a recurve than a compound."

You can say that again!  I have shot a recurve (bowfishing) before but that was when I shot regularly and it was only a 45# draw.

On a compound my draw length was 32".  Don't know if that is the same no matter what the bow is though.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Odds are you'll lose 1-2" of draw on a recurve, especially if you shot with a loop and a release before.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I would recommend drawing a light bow several times a day as the best muscle specific exercize.  Build your frequency and anchor holding time until you can hold it about 8-10 seconds per pull.

You can enhance your overall fitness level for your back, shoulders, and chest by doing pull-ups and push ups.  

Good luck!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
You'll probably shoot better if ya start at 45# and work up to the 56# in a few months! And get less bad habits along the way to boot! Good luck, and you're at the right place!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Get some rubber tubing and pull it like a bow anytime anywhere,even in front of your computer or reading a book.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »
Hi there. Hap

Offline Johner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I like the rubber tubing and push up ideas.  Another bow would be hard to handle considering I am not allowed to work while I am in the ministry training program our family is committed to.  What are my options for inexpensive bows?

Offline bacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
Try the one you have first and see if you think you can handle it now. If it is way to much for you just hang onto it for a while until you get muscles built back up. If you think it is way to strong for you to shoot now with out building bad habits. Keep your eyes on the classifieds or that big E site and get a 40# to 45# cheep just for now.

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
:wavey:  Howdy    :wavey:
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Welcome aboard - you are headed in the right direction. I am an ol', slight codger, who has always had puny arms and started archery late in life (at 56). I use verticle push ups (off doors, trucks, trees, etc.) before I shoot (and every morning at wake up, and most evenings) to keep my shoulders loose, warmed up, and flexible for bow shooting. Best part is you can do 'em anytime, anywhere without attracting too much undo attenmtion. Well, ya do get the occasional, "Why ya tryin' tuh push thet tree over, ol' timer - snicker, snicker?" But, trust me, it helps, and is easy to fit in - often, and regular. Start out with how many you feel good with and build up. Use it as your "potatos", and then do whatever else (heavier) you care too - but alway keep the "VPs" going daily. My experiance - but I did read it in a magazine article by a Doctor/archer back about the time I first got started, and it's been a joint and muscle savior - I'm 72 now BTW.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©