3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional Bowhunters Expo West needs your help  (Read 556 times)

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Bowhunters Expo West needs your help
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
The Idaho Traditional Bowhunters had thier monthly meeting last night. One of the topics that came up was the possibility that there will not be any further TBE West. When I heard this, alarms started going off in my head. This is the only traditional show I can afford to attend. I look forward to going every year. The reason for the possible cancellation is due to a lack of interest from vendors.

What can we end users do to help? Call some of your favorite traditional vendors and let them know that you would like to have them attend the show. They need to know that it is worth the investment it takes to attend a show like this. I plan on making a couple of calls myself. I have never purchased a bow, but I would definitely purchase a few staves if they were available. Let them know that there were over 18,000 folks at the Outdoor show last year? The potential for growth in our sport is huge.

Vendors, what can we do to get you to attend Trad Expo West?

If we lose this show, we may never have an Expo West again. Please don't let that happen.

Shawn

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Bowhunters Expo West needs your help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
I aked Bill Howland at Brackenbury bows one time if he was going to attend last yr. He said the cost was too high, and Heck he is already 1yr out on his wait time now. He did not want to loose the shop time. Same for ather bow makers I have heard. Too bad..
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Shawn,
I missed the meeting last night.... I have to start making them a habit!  Anyway, I feel your pain.  Do you know how many vendors we have this year?  As much as I love the Expo, it seems it is dying.  I liked the Ontario Expo better than last year, and I know all about what happened to have the changes that have taken place.... but it seems to me that with Spectra productions taking over it might be best to let this Expo die.... as sad as that would be, I do think that we could get another going.  
Personally I have thought about renting a booth.  I make bows and would love to expand some... but it is really expensive for me.  We need to get on the phone and be emailing the "local" bowyers.  There are a couple others in Boise, one in Garden Valley (Full Draw/ Bill Dorsch), Mad Dog over in the Twin falls area, tons in Montana and Oregon.....
But all inall, this thing WILL die if we let it.  We, as a local crew and those who aren't local but will attend, we NEED TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE IT WORTH THE VENDORS TIME, EFFORT AND MONEY!!!
My .02
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Shawn:
As a vendor who has attended all the Expo's let me add my 2-cents. Spectra is in this for the Dollars only, as long as they get X number of people through the gate that's all they worry about. As a Traditional Archery vendor, our clients are traditinal archer's and have a specific need, its very difficult to draw enough people with that interest from the greater Boise area. I've only seen one ad in TBM about the show, and to be honest with you I'm sitting back to see what happens. With travel and hotel costs increasing all the time its just not in the cards to spend a $1000-1500 and not break even. When the show was in Ontario vendor space was inclusive, i.e. tables, chairs and eletricity all included in the price, with Spectra, tables, chairs and eletricity are extra in a cold poorly lit barn with a soggy grass floor.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
As Bob said. The numbers of attendees don't matter when vendors are losing money. Being uncomfortable to boot just sucks. The Expo West has never been a big money gain for most of the vendors but their were pluses to doing the show. Unfortunately  the attendees are essentially the same few hundred trad archers every year plus a few others wandering in. The limited clientel cannot support  the thing. Increasing costs to vendors coupled with discomfort and decreasing sales have probably already gutshot it-it is just taking a while to lay down and die 'cause it is being pushed. If the logistics of moving the thing around the West could be overcome I think rotating between Denver , Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Boise, Seattle,and Phoenix could work...but I think she's a goner.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
I will continue to support the expo as much as I can!  But after/if it's current form dies, I would love to see another one sprout out of the ashes.  I know that it could work... there are a lot of trad archers and vendors in the west....but I don't think the life of this current/ Spectra expo is going to last.
Sad.
Tears.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
many won't like this answer, but...   if they conducted a study to locate this thing where the fewest people and hardest access are, they'd about come up with where it is.    Put it in Seattle or Portland, with large airports that are almost all weather open and I-5 access from BC, WA and OR, and it might stand a chance.  i was going to attend two years ago, but the passes were snow closed.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
I have been doing the show as a vendor the last 4 years.  It was tough moving from Ontario to Boise.  But at the very least Tradtional Bowhunters Magazine did what they needed to keep the show going.  The cost was kept as close to what it was for Ontario for a booth fee.  Yes it is not a stand alone Expo for Traditional Archery but the venue is a sporting venue.  Yes it does cost money to do the show, but I do it to not only get my name out there but to help keep supporting the Traditional community.  I do agree with Dick, maybe somewhere in Seattle or Portland for the accessability.  It takes involvement from everyone.  But atleast for now there is a show.  Hopefully it will keep going.  If not where it is now but another venue.  It takes the support from all of us.  Brock Wardle - Bull Mtn Archery  -

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I am going to go with a friend or two, and will make an adventure of it.  Planning on spending a little money, but if there isn't anything to spend it on I'll still have an adventure and meet some folks interested in traditional archery.  And I can go eat breakfast at the Cracker Barrel!  The one in Boise is the closest one around these here parts.  Cracker Barrel is one of the things I miss the most from the little bit of time we were able to live in Tennessee--that and Chic-Fil-a.  

I do hope it continues, as I've only been involved in traditional archery for a couple years.  Some folks I've talked with say it will be fun and interesting, some say it is going to die and this will be the last one.  Either way, I am planning on going this year.

Hope to meet some folks from TradGang.  That is something I can't do ordering stuff mail order from Three Rivers or Kustom King and reading Traditional Bowhunter.

Ron

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
I hope to be going also and hope to have a few dollars to spend to. It is the best time to go with nothing to do in all but the worst time for me financially. Hope to meet some of you tradgangers there also.

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
When is this expo as I know more than a few trad archers here in Alberta may be interested in attending Thanks All
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »
February 28, 29, March 1, 2

Show Hours:
Thursday 5-10:00 pm
Friday 5- 10:00 pm
Saturday 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Sunday 11 am - 5 pm

It is held in conjunction with the Idaho Sportsman Show.  Not a lot of information, but here is a link to the Traditional Bowhunter magazine page.

Ron

Traditional Bowhunter link

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
I been a vender at all but the last 2-3 shows.I have a new product I've been working on and I would like to bring some over and test the waters....plus a few used bows to sell...But as of right now the cost of the trip is looking far higher then sales may be.Will keep working at it.bowdoc

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
Bowdoc, I hope it works out for you, I'd like to meet you  and thank you in person for all the good advice you give out for free on this board!  

And I hope you can make some money, because realistically that is what will keep the expo going--hopefully breaking even on the show costs and the gravy of getting your name out for potential future sales.

Ron

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
A Portland or Seattle show makes sense. Like Dick said, they both have good airports, and they are both off of I-5. If we loose the Boise show, I hope a new show will pop-up somewhere in the west.

For those of you from outside the Boise area that are coming here for the show, I have a 20' travel trailer available at no charge. This could lower your travel costs. I would prefer to loan it out to a vendor, but my offer is for any Trad Gang member. Just send me a PM. I look foward to seeing all of you at the show.

Shawn

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Well, if this year may be the final Expo West in Boise, as several are projecting, all the more reason to be there. My own experience as an amateur bowbuilder makes clear how hard it is to earn a living that way, even with today's high bow costs. So to drive a long way to have a show booth and lose money is a tough call. On the other hand, since the trad archery world is a small world, it's a good long-term investment to meet folks, get your name out, show your products. I've done the past two, and enjoyed them greatly, though I wasn't there to make money (in fact, I've bought new bows both years!) I'll be there again this year ... and take it from there. Timing and weather are also a problem for lots of folks. Maybe May would be better?

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dick in Seattle:
many won't like this answer, but...   if they conducted a study to locate this thing where the fewest people and hardest access are, they'd about come up with where it is.    Put it in Seattle or Portland, with large airports that are almost all weather open and I-5 access from BC, WA and OR, and it might stand a chance.  i was going to attend two years ago, but the passes were snow closed.
you're right Dick. I tried to go, but Boise is so inconvenient & expensive to fly to from NY, and faraway to drive to from anywhere else. Put it in Seattle, Portland, it would be different. Put it in Denver, and it would be a hit
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
It would be a lot easier for us traveling from the east if it was located in an airline hub city.  Salt Lake for example.  I understand for those planning it, that may not be feasible. But I would rather spend money at the show versus plane tickets to get to Boise.  To bad it might be lost to history. :(  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
with the cost of fuel and expenses I imagine a lots going to change, even here some of the vendors arent making it in due to the fact they cant really take the chance theyll even sell enough to cover the trip...same things happening for some of the guys who have leases and with the price of corn and fuel its driving them out..it did me anyway
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline IDABOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
Hey Vendors,
Just wondering how many of you will be making the trip to Boise?  This may backfire by me asking, but if a good number of you vendors indicate that you will be here then more guys might be inclined to attend. Hopefully all who usually do attend will attend. I think we all know the importance of venues like this and how they relate to our passion for Traditional Archery.  See ya here.
Idabow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©