3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Fletch vs 4 Fletch  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Fletch vs 4 Fletch
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Is 4 Fletch better than 3 fletch?Does it straighten the arrow much faster than 3 fletch?
Does it create problems when shooting off the shelf because of contact?

Your thoughts?

Thanks
Bob  :archer:
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Fletch vs 4 Fletch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Conttact is really not a problem for arrow flight with either 3 or 4 fletch. I do not feel 4 has any advantage except ya can go with shorter feathers to get the same surface area as 3 fletch so when cutting you own feathers you can get 3 feathers out of one full length feather instead of the normal two. Shawn
Shawn

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:18:00 PM »
I used to shoot 3 fletch but swapped to four beacuse I could go to four 4 inch feathers like Shawn said above.  I think it looks neat, but in reality it's 6 of one half dozen of the other.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of 4 fletch....Not because 3 fletch doesn't stabilize okay but I like that ball of color spinning into the target. I do think that 4 fletch straightens up a tad quicker from a bad release.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I'm a huge advocate of 4 fletch.

Not only is it more economical when using full length feathers (2 great 4"er's as opposed to 1 great and one "second", if at all, 5"), but 4x4" actually gives more surface area than 3x5".

I originally went to 4 fletch to stabilize large surface area broadheads and stayed with them for their stabilizing effects on the arrow regardless of the type of head... including field points.

I can tell a difference in my accuracy when switching from 3 to 4 fletch arrows, don't find the extra drag affects trajectory noticably and can be assured that I've got the most stable arrow going.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
I also switched over from 3 to 4 fletch (4 x 4" @ 90 degrees) last year.  I believe the arrows are now quieter and less affected by cross winds.  The primary motivation behind my switching was that I didn't want to have to think about whether the cockfeather was 'in' or 'out' when stringing the arrow.  Also, I prefer the aesthetics of a 4 fletch arrow with a shorter lower profile.

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
To me It does not make Much Of a Difference
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Anyone else tried using two fletch? I have tried primitive style two fletch and two fletch with 5 inch fletching. Although it was on a limited scale, it appeared the arrows flew very well.

I believe that it is important to have plenty of helical, and that the arrow be tuned closely to the bow. Having done that, you should get good arrow flight.

2fletch

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I'm a huge advocate of 4 fletch.

Not only is it more economical when using full length feathers (2 great 4"er's as opposed to 1 great and one "second", if at all, 5"), but 4x4" actually gives more surface area than 3x5".

I originally went to 4 fletch to stabilize large surface area broadheads and stayed with them for their stabilizing effects on the arrow regardless of the type of head... including field points.

I can tell a difference in my accuracy when switching from 3 to 4 fletch arrows, don't find the extra drag affects trajectory noticably and can be assured that I've got the most stable arrow going.
+1     :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:  

I use a 75x105 feather configuration, either chopped or burned high cut 4" shields, and get I great clearance off the shelf.  Also faster for nocking as there's no indexing cock feather to be concerned about!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
I like 4 fletch 75x105 or 60x120.  Mainly because I don't have to look at my arrow to make sure the cock feather is in or out.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline dano140

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I wanted to give this a bump because it is something I am interested in as well, and would like more information on it.    :D

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by dano140:
I wanted to give this a bump because it is something I am interested in as well, and would like more information on it.     :D  
Don't think there's more to it than what Charlie posted, 'cept adding in the faster nocking since no indexing is required.

There are basically three four fletch configurations - 75x105, 60x120 and 90x90 - trial all three and see what works best for you and yer bow(s).  Even most of those cheap (but good!) polycarb fletchers will do four fletch.  I use Bohning fletch tape and nothing could be faster or easier for four feather fletching on any kinda shaft material.

As always, YMMV!  :D

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
I too switched to four fletch 4 at 90 degrees.  I like them  for he same reasons that everyone previously  stated. I used to shoot 3- 5 1/2" feathers,shield cuts or bananas that's 16 1/2"s of feather versus 4 four fletch also shield cuts  =16"s of feather.They seem quieter and fly straighter to me.

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:
Anyone else tried using two fletch? I have tried primitive style two fletch and two fletch with 5 inch fletching. Although it was on a limited scale, it appeared the arrows flew very well.

I believe that it is important to have plenty of helical, and that the arrow be tuned closely to the bow. Having done that, you should get good arrow flight.

2fletch
2Fletch  -  I have been playing with a 2 fletch arrow.  I have been friends with Jim Neaves of Centaur archery for about 5 years now and have shot his personal arrows that he uses a 2 fletch on.  That is all he is shooting.  He has been successful with them.  I know for a broadhead set up he is using a 190 Simmons Shark. So he is getting a big head to fly great.  I on the other hand am still experimenting with it.  
I have shot mostly 3 fletch in the past but have been shootin some 4 fletch.  Can't say for sure one way or the other what is better.  I know that you have to tune your bow to the arrows.  Just my 2 cents.   Brock

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Please be gentle, this is a really dumb question: when you do 60X120 or 75X105, does the wide angle (most gap) go "down" or to the "side"?

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
oops sorry, With feathers it will work either way, However some people find that the can get by with a lower nocking point by fletching so that the fethers are to the sides. There are easy instructions on side oriented 60x120 fletching on the Foxfire Archery site.

2 fletch, I have shot 2 fletch and get adequate stabilization with broadheads....but I don't get the ball of color effect that I love.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by oops sorry:
Please be gentle, this is a really dumb question: when you do 60X120 or 75X105, does the wide angle (most gap) go "down" or to the "side"?
60x120 yields the widest "side" angle of two feathers ... next is 75x105 ... lastly 90x90.  Don't think that 90x90 will bounce the arrow off the plate as it whizzes by - it may not do that with yer bow and yer shooting style, and it may offer superior clearance!

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Thank you! I'll give two angle four fletch a try...been doing 90 degree.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by oops sorry:
Thank you! I'll give two angle four fletch a try...been doing 90 degree.
I'd suggest the 75x105 if your fletcher can do it.  If not, 60x120 can be done on any three fletch fletcher by fletching two hens and two cocks.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
align the "wide angle" with the side of the bow and you'll be fine.
   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©