3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Think your bow is smooth, check out a 3DXL  (Read 626 times)

Offline Biblethumpincop

• Trad Bowhunter
Think your bow is smooth, check out a 3DXL
« on: January 19, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
I will write more as I go on with this bow, but I wanted to let everyone know about the Quinn Comet 3DXL I got delivered this week.

I wanted to try one out, because I'm a sucker for deflexed risers. I thought I could pick one up for 3d shooting, and wanted about 46lbs at my 31.5" draw. I put an order in with Robert, and spoke to David and Peggy about a half a dozen times during the 4 week process.

I requested a black riser, with black glass limbs. But, to throw a curve into it, I wanted maple wedges instead of the purple heart. David let me know that the bow was 46 lbs at 32". Pretty darn close. But get this, ITS 41.4 LBS AT 28 INCHES!!!!!!

4.6 lbs in 4" of draw!!!! I got the bow and was surprised by the light mass weight of the bow. Lighter mass weight than I was use to. But, I strung it up and tried some arrows. Shoots extremely well!!!!

I shot some overspined arrows out of the bow. Although the arrows were impacting left, I was grouping them right off the bat. I am ordering some 460 spine Beman Energy's and hope to shoot the arrows in the high 190's fps. The way the bow currently shoots, it may have more gitty up than that.

I can't leave anything stock though. I already used some epoxy putty to build a shelf for it, and fill in the recess in the grip. I also filled in the sight window holes. I will dress it up tomorrow with the file and hit it with the bedliner spray. That stuff is wonderful!

Just a few words about the bow. I hope to do a draw force curve on it, but I am in the process of moving to another city. Maybe this spring.

The bow is a wolf in sheeps clothing for sure....

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Think your bow is smooth, check out a 3DXL
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
Nice description; but where is the pic?

Offline Biblethumpincop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
Hopefully tomorrow...

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »
My 64" Comet XL-3D is 36.1 @ 28" and 45.2 @ 32".

Might want to check those numbers again...
the curve is approx. 2.0-2.5 lbs/inch between 28" and 32".

Offline Biblethumpincop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
David Quinn told me in an email, and on the phone the weights he measured with my bow.  The bow limb is marked 41.4.  He got 46 lbs at 32".  He was very surprised with his results as well. When I had access to a digital scale, I got 45.6 lbs at my 31.5" draw. Ask him if you don't believe me...

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Quinn limbs are awesome.  I have a pair of 64inch ones one a Stallion riser and they are among the smoothest limbs I have shot.  Good value for the money and GREAT people to deal with.  Now about those pictures??????

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Not saying that you're being untruthful for any reason, John. It's just that I've never seen a recurve (Quinns included) that have a draw curve in the 1.2 lb/inch range at 28"-32". Maybe between 17"-22", but not up at the delivery end of the draw curve. Must be a fluke bow (even for a Quinn).... and of course that would be a good fluke.

Offline Biblethumpincop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Okay, thanks Dave.  Mr. Quinn was very surprised himself.  He wanted me to do a force draw curve on the bow and post it as well.  Maybe after I get done moving.  I hadn't seen them that smooth either.  I guess I'm just lucky on this one.  Makes up for some stack master's I've had in the past....

Offline Biblethumpincop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Here are the pictures.  The bow started off with a recess in the back side of the grip, and a flat shelf.  It was painted with a shiney paint that chipped already.  I built up the shelf, filled in the holes that were drilled through the sight window and filled in the back of the grip.  The bedliner spray material very tough, and should hold up much better than the original paint.  

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Biblethumpincop, congratulations on a wonderful bow! Why did you chose maple instead of purple heart for the wedges?
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Biblethumpincop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
Aesthetics is all.  I think the maple looks nicer against the black.  Thanks for the nice words.

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Did you modify the shelf to shoot from? I noticed the elevated rest in the photos. I guess it makes sense to do it now instead of having to refinish the riser again at a later date. Looks nice, and I like the maple limb wedges more than the purpleheart. Wish I could convince my wife to try a Quinn, but her heart is set on a wood riser for her first bow.

Steve

Offline Biblethumpincop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 03:02:00 AM »
I sold this bow several years ago, but wonder where it is now?  I'd like to get it back someday...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©