3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pronghorn bows  (Read 9509 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pronghorn bows
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
I was just wondering how many people out there shoot Herbs bows. I have two myself and love them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pronghorn bows
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
I've owned a one piece. Ended up trading it off in a fit of the stupids, but I wouldn't mind trying a 3pc.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
I have a three peice osage bamboo and a ferret recurve
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
I have three, one three piece and two one piece.
Prarrie Dog

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
One 60 inch, 59# takedown in house and two takedowns on the way.  One is a 56 inch, 53# and the other is a 60 inch, 50#.  I had a one-piece and traded it after I shot a TD.  I had a 60 inch, 54# TD that I sold after our hunting season to help finance the two new ones.  Great bows and a great guy.

Dave

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Is Herb still making the "Ferret" recurve? Checked his web site and it looks like he's building longbows only.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
No he is only building longbows now. The ferret is a great bow though I would love to get another one. They are hard to find though. He is a great guy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline permian stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
I have one Pronghorn Longbow, a single piece model, w/Shedua riser and red elm limbs...62" - 55#. The bow is very fast and quiet, the fit and finish is second to none. Also, my dealings with Herb have been nothing but gracious. Highly recommend his product!

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
I think I only have 8 Pronghorns at the moment  :bigsmyl:

Rusty

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
I have a fastflite model , nice bows :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Just got a 3 piece off another ganger.  Real happy with it.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
I have and HAD Many, I have not found a bow yet that compares,  I have tried many other High end and still have them, but I always find my self going back to the same old Prongy's!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
Hey Matt how are you. You coming up next weekend for the shoot?
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Let me tell you a quick story about Herb.  More years ago then I can remember I was at Rays Taxidermy looking at a black 80lb recurve that was made by Herb for a special draw hunt,Sheep or moose or something like that painted on the riser.  I was interested in buying the bow so Ray call Herb and told him about my interest.  Herb invited my girlfreind and myself over to his house that night.  We stayed up all night looking at his shooting troghys and his new short RD longbow.  He insisted we stay the night instead of driving all the way back to the hotel in Kaycee, then turn around and drive back to hunt antelope outside of Casper.  The next morning Our host saw us up for breakfast and before we left ask if I would like to shoot his longbow that day  He said he didnot get much time to hunt and I could feild test it and tell him how I liked it.  It was 69 lb, he even gave my a quiver of Bear Metric magnums.  He said the bow liked these arrows.  That day I shoot my first antelope with a bow.  I still have the picture of Herb and what he said was the first harvest with one of his bows. I also bought a cat quiver from him that night .  The quiver has been with me on all of my pack hunts.  I cheerish the goodwill Herb showed that night in Casper.
capt eddie

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
I broke my longbow the first week of bow season,a bow I had built. My backup bow at the time was a recurve with homemade limbs on a darton compound handle,and 10# more than I usually shoot,so I put an ad for a Pronghorn td,50 to 70#,any length,and any condition. I had shot a Pronghorn years ago and had immediately shot it better than any bow I had ever shot before.

Wyoming Chief responded and gave me a good enough price not to argue. I think he felt sorry for me. The bow came without a string and a list of arrows that he said it liked. I built a fast string,put a nock set on it,grabbed 4 different sizes of al. arrows and went out to shoot. The first arrow was dead center in the spot and the other 3 were grouped around it. I could not believe it. The bow shoots almost any reasonable arrow well, there is no sweet spot for fistmele,and it shoots right where I look. To say I was pleased would be an understatement. Two days later I killed a spike and killed 2 more deer before the end of the season. When I build another bow I`m gonna copy this one as close as I can. Thanks Tom,  Bob

P.S. Are you kinned to Dave in Michigan?

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Sounds like a real nice guy. It would be great to see an interview in TBM of him. I havent shot a Pronghorn yet but its at the top of my list of bows I would like to try.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »
I have a one pc that I love.  One of the most accurate bows in my collections.  My first choice in most of my hunts! :-)  :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Sam Fadala interviewed him for TBM back in the 90's. (a real hard to get issue). Herb is the real deal. I started shooting his Pronghorns back in about '92 or 93. I asked him about the Ferrets' and he says the Pronghorn will shoot right with the Ferret and is a stronger design. I have shot both and that Ferret is smooth but I wouldn't trade my Pronghorns.
By the way Rusty, Your hogging the production   ;)
Prarrie Dog

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
That is an awesome story capt. Herb has told me the same thing about the ferret.I can tell you i would not give mine up though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
I have a three pc. It is the only fiberglass bow I have kept and that I still on occasion shoot (I went to selfbows).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©