3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pronghorn bows  (Read 9512 times)

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pronghorn bows
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
cottonwood, what's the brace height on your bow, and what arrows are you shooting? Assume you draw the full 28".
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Paul & Scattershot...Thank you for your kindness and interest in trying to help me out! By the way...I shoot my Widow recurves  without an armguard but if I shoot my Pronghorn without one it rips the hide off my arm!
My Pronghorn brace height is 7 3/4 and I draw 28 1/2 to the face.I have 30" CX 150's,  29" Beman Black Max 400's, 29 1/2 55-75 Gold Tip XT 's, Full length CX 250's, and 31 1/2 Beman Black Max 400's.(I didn't cut these yet)
My Widows (60" 50 lb SAIII and 62" 55 lb MAII)LOVE the 29" Black Max 400's but nothing works in my Pronghorn. I change the brace height and nock point and arrow weight (add weights) and I am NEVER CONSISTENT!!!
I was going to sell it and get another Widow but it is so smoothe, light, quiet and dead in the hand that I decided to give this ONE MORE TRY!!
You guys are my last hope. TEACH ME OH WISE ONES!!
I am a high school teacher so I am certainly not opposed to learning!!What say ye and thanks again!!  Cotton

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
cottonwood, I hold mine just like Paul says he does. Most of the pressure I feel from the grip is down in the lowest part of the thumb into the palm. If I don't hold it like that, I hit my arm also, and my groups open up. I just switched to Herbs longbow a year ago after shooting and hunting with his Ferret for about ten years. I am now waiting for my second longbow from Herb, and will be ordering another in the near future. I absolutely love them.

Tracy-Pronghorn fan
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline queeksdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
My Pronghorn (60" 54# at 28" draw) shoots CX150's cut to 30", 100 grain inserts and 145 grain points very well. I use a 6.75 brace height. My draw is 25". I started out with CX 250's full length. They shot well but the 150's fly better.

Do you hold the Pronghorn with a full grip(evenly distributed pressure)? This is a different grip to that of the recurve.
"Thinking is a dying discipline in a society that throbs with activity" Ravi Zacharias

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
cottonwood, I wish I could help you with arrows, but I know nothing about carbon. I only shoot woodies. Maybe someone will chime in and help you. Good luck.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Hey cotton, Have you bare shafted any of your arrow for your pronghorn? I can shoot a 29 1/4" GT 55/75 out of almost all my bows @ 57lbs. I recently switched to a Axis FMJ 340 30" with a 100gr insert. They shoot great but it took some experimentation. Once again though this arrow shoots out of my longbow and my recuve very well.

I would try bare shafting and setting your grip out just a little more than you would on your recurve. Like a few others said put the preasure on the base of your thumb. I am the same as you though I can shoot some bows without an armgaurd and some I cant.

If there is more that I can help you with hit me up.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Thank you all for trying to help this frustrated long bow hunter wanna-be! I'll give the different hold, the bare shafting and the arrows a try and report back. Again..Thanks for your kindness!
Hope you all draw good blood this season...and not your own!!
Cotton

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
If he is wacking his arm he isnt holding it right, prolly too much of the grip in his palm...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
I have 3 at this time,  2 are one pc. and just got a 62" 59# 3pc. from Matty here on TG in the mail yesterday.   All shoot great. Herb makes Top Notch Bows.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
I just bought a new takedown from Bob's Archery in Colorado. She is 62" long and draws 58lbs @ my 28" draw.

Bob said she is a beauty - Rosewood Dymondwood riser with bamboo(dirty)limbs.
I called and talked with Herb last night and all I can say is that he is a class act!!

Does anybody have some recommendations on what carbons to begin with? I am trying to stay close to 600 grains total arrow weight if possible.

Thanks and God Bless,
Paul

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Congrats on your new friend there Paul. You will love it. As four arrows. I am shooting an axis Full Metal Jacket 340 with a 100 grain insert. I had to leave them a little long at about 30 3/4, but they fly great. I had great results with them on animals this year. This arrow weighs right on the 600 grain mark.  I hope you enjoy it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ELKDUDE07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Just got a 3pc Pronghorn on Thursday, that I got off the tradgang classifieds. Got my first trad- bow kill with it yesterday evening.(Doe) Bow is a pleasure to shoot.

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
Great bows and a GREAT  guy to deal with!!

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
i have a one piece ferret that flat smokes and arrow. pick'd her up for a fair price

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
KP, I shoot a 55-75 gold tip, full length with heavy heads. Fly like darts. Enjoy

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
FerretWYO,

Thanks for the input on arrows. Now, I just need to decide on a quiver.

If I get my camera working I will post pictures of my new friend.

Thanks again,
Paul

Offline Rotag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
So better to buy  new bow or second set of limbs
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
I have been looking at Pronghorns for a while now and have decided that my next bow will be the 3pc longbow. My question is has anyone shot the 56" or the 58" and what is your opinion on the subject. Thanks Mike

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »
I have a 60" that shoots wonderful. I have a 56" on the way any day now. I'll let you know when it comes. I've heard the 56" shoots great and I'm sure it will since Herb built it!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Mine came in the mail yesterday, shot it right out of the box and tuned it today, 66" 54@30 most beautiful piece of zebrawood youve ever seen with stained amberboo limbs. Couldnt believe how fast it was spitting out them woodies. It seems to like the brace at 7 1/4"...Paul
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©