3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do ATV's or 4 wheelers hurt your bowhunting area?  (Read 2541 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do ATV's or 4 wheelers hurt your bowhunting area?
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
LBR - great post!

Steve

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Nothing against ATVs as a useful tool in the right hands and under the right common-sense work situations, but this question has nothing to do with that type of use.  The question was...

"Do ATV's or 4 wheelers hurt your bowhunting area?"

Absolutely, for all the obvious and very well-presented reasons already given, and more.  

One reason not often recognized is the damage ATVs can do to wildlife habitat and sensitive areas such as streambanks, stream channels and riparian (streamside) vegetation.  In fact, a significant amount of money is spent each year by clubs, associations and state/federal government agencies (thats YOUR tax dollars at work, folks) repairing damages or avoiding the potential for future damage caused by use of ATVs in areas not intended or designed for them... and much of that damage has longlasting effects on stream and riparian ecosystems that in turn can affect fishing, stream morphology, erosion potential and hunting success in an area for many years thereafter.  ATVs can and WILL have a tremendous effect in a short amount of time relative to soil and vegetative impacts, if used irresponsibly or even if used responsibly but in areas prone to chronic soil disturbance (stream bottoms, swales, cutbanks, beaches, vernal pools, etc.).  And unfortunately even the most responsible of us often don't recognize the potential problems caused by these machines that are not only engineered for chewing up dirt but which are promoted on TV and in manufacturer's ads as wilderness adventure machines where every soft bank, wetland and stream channel is fodder for doing donuts and wheelies.  What appears to be harmless fun on a TV commercial can often result in an erosion nightmare causing habitat effects and destruction far beyond simple noise or animal disturbance problems.

ATVs DO have high potential for scaring animals, and disturbing hunting and fishing areas, and polluting streams, and promoting a couch potato hunting mentality.  They have their advantages...but certainly not without serious  consequences when it comes to the fields and forests.  

So SteveB, is this 'ATV traditional elitist' enough for you?    :)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Close - some good discussion though.

Steve

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
First off in Montana they did studies where biologists watched the effects of atvs going through areas where there were well studied game populations. It was a 10 year study; and really intensive. It showed that ATVs do effect elk and other animals. When atvs go through an area it creates a corridor where the animals leave. That effects their survival rate.
 So; ATVs do effect our hunting.
On a personal level; nothing has angered me more; and ruined more outdoor experiences than the sudden presence of atvs into areas they are not legally allowed; let alone ethically.
 Seems like the harder they twist their wrist on the gas; the lower their IQ goes.
  In Idaho it is rare to see an atv with any identification on it. While we are a big state; I asked at the motor vehicle place the other day - how many atvs are registered. The answer was 117,000 ATVs.
  I know they save gas; but when I see a truck with an atv and equipment in the back of it; towing a trailer with 4 atvs on it... I have to wonder if the desire is less about saving fuel; and more about making shortcuts.
  Yes you can go places faster with the ATV; but you desturb everything on the way in and out; and yes... that include us if we are there.
  I am 56 closing in on 57; and yep its getting harder to push myself and not end up really sore the next day.
  But that should be making me smarter.
I think that means being more aware of how to get where I want to go on foot; and yes an easier way....but not buying an atv and going ~that~ route.
  Near Boise Idaho; you can still see the wheel ruts of the Oregon trail; made from horse drawn wagon wheels- of the pioneers.
  Some areas rapidly recover from abuse; other areas do not. Here it is a factor; drive up a hillside once; and it sets the scene for others to follow; and they do. Then it is an errosion problem.
  YES - atv's hurt our hunting areas. At least the areas I have hunted here!!!!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »
Brian , thanks..this 3000 acres bowhunting only ranch, was just increidable, like I started in begining had no 4 wheelers , no atv's...it was 3000 acres bowhunting only 10 points are better , it was awesome no spooky critters, just natural in the wild...Id have to say it really made a difference...thanks to all ...this is why this site rocks!!!!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline elkkrazy8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
I only use mine to get deer out. I hunt out west in a wilderness area,so i dont have to be around them.Nothing but horses or your own 2 feet.To many people own them,that cares nothing about wildlife.
        Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©