3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do ATV's or 4 wheelers hurt your bowhunting area?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do ATV's or 4 wheelers hurt your bowhunting area?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
I hunt a lot in a WMA just a short drive from my home. I have found that the people that own ATV's and dirt bikes tend to be a problem. I have had on one particular afternoon this past fall 6 diffrent ATV's and dirt bikes pass not 30 yards from my stand. I have complained to my NJ State Game Warden because ANY motorised vehicle is illigal to operate on a WMA. He is one of the state officials who can put a stop to this type of law breaking from happening by simply ENFORCING THE EXISTING LAW! So far the State of NJ officials have done nothing as far as I can see. I hunted that WMA yesterday with my son. There was several day old snow on the ground. Everywhere we went there were ATV tracks. Even in areas where there wasn't a dirt road but even up in the hills where there are only game trails.

So who would you blame for what is happening on this particular WMA? I put full blame on the lawless owners of these ATV's and the gutless law enforcement officials who are sworn to protect the states public lands from people breaking the laws on the game lands. All my complaints have come to nothing. At times I have had no one answer the phones at the office where these things are supposed to be reported! I'm glad to see that the tax money I pay every time I buy something hunting related  not to mention the taxes I have taken from my pay checks every week are being used to pay these incompetiant burrocrats their salaries.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
To answer your question.... YES.  No excuses.  They are a tool, but nearly none of the people who have one use it responsably.  If it were up to me, I would corral them into non-public lands.  Idaho is mostly public and that would solve the problem here pronto.  
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
YES

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
YES
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
yes!! public land here in arkansas is being ruined by these so called handicap access trails,there everywhere on our wma's & they are  being abused mostly by a bunch of lard a$$e$ that have went to their local family dr's & told them that their back hurts,or their toe hurts etc...& have gotten their handicap passes,which now makes them legal to easily access areas that i have to work my butt to get to get to..... mostly a bunch of lazy crossbow shootin lard a$$E$!!!!!!!

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
I own one as does most of the people I gun hunt with in WV. We have a rule. They stay in our "ATV Parking lot" until lunch. Any deer we get in the morning lie until noon when we get the ATV's out to recover the deer. ALot of people stay in the stand and say they see more deer because we take the ATV's out.
Then the ATV's get parked again until dark when we pull out any afternoon deer taken.
Seems to work.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
yes they do hurt bowhunting...That is why I will be signing warrants Tuesday for the arrest of five punk ATV riders I caught on my property.

I have often wondered why hunters (lack of a better word) buy very expensive 4X4 trucks and pull an expensive ATV behind them to go hunting.
They never get their trucks dirty and ride the ATV all through the woods to their stand.

What am I missing?
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline MO.IRONMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
four wheelers are a great tool for people with disabilities but the law are for every one to fallow

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
No and NO! It ain't the ATV or any other vehicle. It is the individual running them. Take them away and they WILL find a way back into the woods and they will find a way to screw with ya. Hunting and in particualr bow hunting has become "cool in a certain crust of our society. Shooting a stick has become even cooler in many circles. The 'tude' is whats getting to you is the bottom line.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
I know that ATV's have there place and I certainly understand that most ATV owners undoubtedly use these vehicles reponsibly. Still, I am not a big fan of ATV's because of what I've seen from some of the irresponsible users. Besides designated wilderness areas where no wheeled vehicles are allowed, I wish that our game department would designate at least a few game management units where ATV's were not allowed during the archery hunting seasons.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
I have owned an ATV ever since they came about. I use them at and around my home for a wide variety of chores. I also use them prior to and during hunting season. There are many times it sets on the truck until I need it AND, there are many times I ride it in and lock it up until I'm ready to head out.

There is NOTHING wrong with ATV's if they are used properly. HOWEVER' there is something wrong with SLOBS riding around with a bow or gun in their lap for hours on end calling themselves 'hunters'.

Just another case of "slobs" or "idiots" giving hunters a bad name.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Recurve.  others...
devils advocate here.  I am against using a quad when hunting even though I own one for work.   That said...I am not blaming the conservation warden, the cops, the government...no  none of those.  I blame us and those like us.   We allow these things to happen.  It is our responsibility to obey the law. It is our responsibility to do what we can to alert the law and to turn in the lawless.  If we don't do it...we get what we deserve.

We....allow it to happen.  Not the cops....not the wardens.  Of course....its not MY job ..right..
ChuckC

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  YES!  

Nuf Said!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Limey Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Of course without properly operated ATV`s and AIRBOATS the reality, especially on public land, is everyone would be piled up within a half mile of the parking area. Heck, why not leave the truck at home and walk to your hunting area, thats traditional.
I love the knee jerk reaction to ATV`s and AIRBOATS. When the reality is the operators are the ones causing the problems. ANd what percentage of the total are causing the problems. But it`s easier to blame the vehicle than hold anyone accountable for their actions.
It never ceases to amaze me how we fight amongst ourselves wether it be longbows and compounds, ATV and walking, flintlock muzzleloaders and inlines.
Get over yourselves with the holier than thou , I`m trad to the end opinion of yourselves and for the heck of it lighten up.

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
I have owned one for years and use it for many things including getting my deer out of the woods. I dont use it to get to my stands, I always walk, but in general I notice that it does not bother the deer at all unless you drive right up on them.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
we use 4 wheelers for recreational riding on my property outside of hunting season...just a few trails that cover the entire property.  i don't use them going to/from my stand during the season, just to "drag" the deer.  over the years, the deer have gotten a bit used to them.  i've ridden up on deer many times and they just stand there and look at me....if i stop, they'll run.

i can't say that ATV traffic has hurt my hunting.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
atv's have caused a LOT of damage to land i hunt, i disslike them very much. i enjoy the walk to my stands and i enjoy the blood, sweat and tears of putting up stands and dragging deer without the use of them. i will go no farther here as it is a sore subject with me.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Hate 'em.
They tear up the land and crush small critters. If I am back in a nice quiet spot that I took the time to walk to, the last thing I need is some fool flailing by me on some motorized something. So I hunt where they are not allowed. If one comes by me, I will try to grab a photo and report it.

My parcel is not over six miles deep, so I can walk into almost any part of it, spike camp or whatever. I usually don't go far, though, because I am a lazy old lady who likes her Mr. Buddy heater.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
I dont know how cotton-pickin airboats got in here...they are not a problem ...but how many times do you see little young , many times too young driving 4 wheelers all over the neighbor hood, parents spoiling there kids rotten letting them ride in an matter that is not law worthy!!!! too many times for me...now replace the jet ski with the airboat , thats topic for another site for fisherman ...LOL...parents in many cases are the problem...not being responisble...just my 2 cents...  :)and considering others ...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
We  use them to get to our stand locations on the ranch and IMHO I dont see where it botheresd then a bit..if you use the silencers like we do..the BENZ Ive driven within 15 yda of them without them realizing Im there..irresponsible riders can a do hurt it though I believe
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©