3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow strings? cant find what im looking for...  (Read 979 times)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow strings? cant find what im looking for...
« on: February 02, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Howdy yall, i was wondering if you could help me out (again)?  :knothead:   we dont plan on getting fancy with these bows.
Another question...is a string jig used to make a bowstring? how does it work? how do you get the right size string for your bow? is it adjustible for different size sting lengths? I have looked in the archives but didnt find what i was looking for. Hopefully some of you more intellegent bow makers can help out a few new-be's.
Thanks for the help.
Pintail

Offline Dryrot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow strings? cant find what im looking for...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
There should be a string makeing tutorial in the  "How to" section. If not try a google search on flemish twist strings. If your gonna make your own bows you just as well set your self up to make your own strings. For what it will cost to buy 3-4 ready made strings you can get the materials to make a string jig and get a couple of spools of B50 or fstflight and a serving tool and some serving and have enough to make several dozen strings.
It's the only way to fly.
Larry

Offline Dryrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
Oh yeah! for your long string... what I did was make a couple of leather boots and used a piece of pretty heavy nylon cord (about like parachute cord). for the short string I make an extra hevy string out of B50 Dacron and make it a little long and twist it up as I go. Most will probably say to use a timber hitch on one end  but I ain't figured that part out...   :knothead:
Larry

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Where would be the best place to buy that equiptment?
Thank you.
Pintail

Offline Slingblade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »
you can get it all at 3 rivers and I highly recommend getting the DVD "Doing the twist" it will take you step by step through the string making process and it's a lot easier to do one once you have actually seen it done.  Easy to do, almost impossible to explain.
"Life is like a dog sled team...if you ain't the lead dog; the scenery never changes"  Lewis Grizzard

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »
You can buy a string jig from many vendors such as 3 Rivers.  You can also make your own pretty easily.  Of course, a string board only makes measuring the strands of a Flemish string easy.  You don't need one to make strings.
B-50, serving material and a serving tool can all be purchased at the same place you get a string board.  Two 1/4 lb spools of B-50 will last for quite a few strings.  Get two colors that go together and you're good to go.  You'll also want string wax.  You can buy it or just use beeswax from your local hobby or sewing supply store.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©