3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Online Tourney - Week 4  (Read 1408 times)

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Online Tourney - Week 4
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
Guys as some of you might have read my post about trying to relocate to PA. Well I'll be leaving on the 26th. That's saturday. I will arrive on sunday, and probably will not be online untill Monday. so continue to shoot and maybe Rod can do the initial post for me, and when I get online I will do the normal thing.

Alright week 3 is complete and we only dropped 10 people since week 2. Still good numbers. Had 46 people turn in scores with an average of 47....which is 1 points lower then week 2, and we had a high score of 58.

Guys, if you didn't sign up don't just post your target. There was a sign up that ran Nov. through middle of Dec. and another 2 weeks after that was a list of people to make sure I didn't miss anyone. When you just post your target for the hell of it you make it really hard to find and score the peoples targets who signed up. Not to mention me having to locate your name on the list..only to find out it's not there. If you want in wait till the next one. Sorry I have to be this way, but dang it that's the way it is

• Alright this is week 4 of a 5 week series. The rules below are the final rules, and if you need any clarification please PM me. If your question is something I left out of the rules I will modify them. I will post any modifications in bold.

• You may shoot your first target using 5 arrows. Post your target with your screen name (the one you signed up with) and your score WRITTEN ON THE TARGEt. All targets are to be posted by 12:00 Noon Sunday, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Any bow longbow or recurve – No Sights what so ever.
2. No arrow restrictions….carbon, wood, aluminum, cane….etc…are OK
3. A cut line gets rounded up
4. An “X” is a 12 everything else is as marked
5. Targets must be turned in by Sunday 12:00 PM (Noon)
6. You cannot shoot all 5 targets in one week and turn them in one at a time or all at one time
7. You may practice/warm up before shooting your target
8. If more then 5 arrow holes appear in your target your weeks target will be a zero, or you will be asked to reshoot that week.
9. Targets will be shot at a distance of 15 yards or 45 feet
10. Everyone will shoot this Target no exceptions
 www.tradgang.com/docs/tgott.pdf

11. WRITE YOUR SCREEN NAME AND SCORE SOMEWHERE ON THE TARGET. Other information such as bow and arrow combo is OK as long name and score are there as well….Make them readable.
12. No whining, bitching, moaning, groaning, or complaining.
13. You may use a visual aid on your target. Such as an orange dot covering the X. As long as it does not obscure the line for scoring.

• We will be using this target so that everyone can print it. It will print on regular paper(8.5X11).
 www.tradgang.com/docs/tgott.pdf  

• Best you can get is a 60 (5 arrow * 12 points = 60)

• All times I refer too are in CST/CDST

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Online Tourney - Week 4
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
OK fellas I promissed you a speical post in week 4. Here it is. I'd like to say I am not the one offering up these tips, but only a middle man. I'm not going to name the tipster, but he is a person who we could all learn a thing or two from. So read away!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only two places on the bow should be touched; the bow grip and the string. Its really important to get those two as close to perfect as possible.

First lets work on grip, its handy to have some sort of reference so its easy to repeat the grip position from shot to shot. One way to accomplish consistent grip position is to add a reference line to you hand, when beginning the blank bale drills, I'll get to that later

Since we can’t see a reference line, with our hand coving the grip a piece of serving thread taped down the length of the grip (preferably where the bowstring intersects the grip) allows us to feel a solid reference.

OK now we have a means to repeat the exact same grip position. Its now time to find our perfect hand position by shooting the blank bale with attention to the bows reaction to release only. what we’re looking for here is what hand position does the best job of allowing the bow to jump straight forward at release. The bow only has to move forward until the arrow clears the bow, which, according to arrow speed, isn't much, then what the bow does makes no difference. Try a few shots checking bow reaction, then using your reference lines and altering hand position a little and shoot several arrows. At some position, you will begin to feel the bow jump forward at release. That’s what we’re looking for! Also this would be a good time to test how little finger pressure it takes to keep the bow from falling to the ground. The index finger held loosely around the front of the bow is all it takes and negates bow hand torque.

Gripping the bow tightly or grabbing the bow during release will toque the bow showing sporadic arrow flight, flyers…etc…..a good trick to use would be to imagine you are holding a cup of hot coffee. If you squeeze the cup you will get burned. On the other hand you will show the same sporadic arrow flight if you force your hand open, extending the fingers forcefully. Your goal here is to have a loose relaxed grip on the bow with only enough support to keep the bow from recoiling out of your hand.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
Just a quick THANKS to Jef for doing all this.  Also thank you to the mystery guest for sharing tips, alot of this may seem elementary to some, but as a new guy I'm lovin it.  Keep the tips comin!!!!   Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Looks like I will start it out this week.  Made a new string for the breed this morning.  Shot it in for about 50 arrows, and finally shot a 60.

Fox Breed 57 @ 28 xx78 2016's

Score 60

Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Hey, I even left the x in tact  :)
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
dang...what a way to start out the week!!!

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
I shot a group like that this morning. Then the alarm went off and I woke up.   :knothead:  
Awesome Shooting X2 !!!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Rod Jenkins

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Great shooting X2 !

Sure thing Jeff, I'll start the "week 5 kickoff post for you, next Sunday

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
awesome shooting there X2
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Respecting the X from the X2 man! Now that is skill! lol   Nice shooting!  

Thanks Jeff for the info. on striving for a more consistant grip. That makes sense now that I think back on times when I was shooting really well. It's funny how you soon forget what works and fall into bad habits. Time to go put it to use!   David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
i missed the first few weeks of the tourney can i start up now or am i out of luck. i signed up on the original thread
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Talk about putting the pressure on.....great shooting X2    :notworthy:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by VinnieB:
i missed the first few weeks of the tourney can i start up now or am i out of luck. i signed up on the original thread
VinnieB, your name is on the list so yeah shoot it up

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
I wondered what happened to my target after I shot it. How did X2 get it?
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
ttt for KS.
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Here is my week 4. Last chance to shoot before packing up the bows. Shot with a SA III 43@26

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Where's the pic, Jeff? Did X2 steal yours too?

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
OOPS, it was just very slow loading. I have super fast connection too. My bad

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
Unfortunatly I am not at the level X2 and Rod are yet. A couple more years and maybe some glasses I will be there...oh yeah I would never turn down some luck as well.

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Here is my score for this week.

V-Archer.

"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©