3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Hide (raw) Quiver-Along (FINISHED, with pics!)  (Read 1367 times)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer Hide (raw) Quiver-Along (FINISHED, with pics!)
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
This will truly be a "build-along" since I was cleaning the freezer out just yesterday and found 3 deer hides.  I'd seen this style of quiver made on another site, although no pictures were included - this will be a learning experience for all.  This uses hair-on deer raw-hide with borax rubbed in for preservative.  No oil is rubbed in so the quiver stays stiff and keeps its shape.  Step one: Beat the dog...she ate one of the hides I had thawing - least I still have two more.  Actually one good hide would probably do, but two is good.  Anyway, step 1-A: Flesh out one side of the quiver:

Step 2: Have the forms magically appear -

The form for the quiver is made of a 2x6 however long you want your quiver.  This was about 24 inches long.  Taper the 2x6 down to about 4" on the bottom end - rounding it in the process.  I used a router to radius the edge.  Screw it to a scrap piece of plywood.  On a similar piece of plywood, cut out the stretcher.  It will be the same shape as the form but slightly oversized.  I probably cut it with too much slop, bout 1/2" around.  1/4 would have probably been better.  I used the band saw for speed and screwed the form back together, a saber saw would do well...but slower... for cutting out the stretcher.

Step 3: Rub borax into the back of the quiver and tack it to something to dry - the neighbor's fence for instance...

This half will dry before you shape it - I left the tail attached, may have it hang off the bottom - we'll see how it works.  The body of the quiver will be formed wet, prepped with borax as well before clamping it into the form.  

Hope this works...   :pray:  
   :rolleyes:

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Hide (raw) Quiver-Along (FINISHED, with pics!)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
Once the borax was rubbed in, I folded over the top edge of the quiver for some additional stiffness, making sure a good dose of borax was inside.  Hopefull it will cure.  Then I stretched it over the form, stapling it to the base plywood well away from the 2x6.

Now the stretcher is clamped over the form, pulling the hide tight while it is screwed into place:

Run some drywall screws into the plywood to lock it down:

I smoothed out the hair, and now we sit and watch it dry.  With the cold, dry air, hopefully won't take too long.  I put a fan on it just to speed it along.  See you next weekend!  Steve

Offline Full Quiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I'm watching, this looks cool. This would work with other mammals also right???

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
very intrigued. Thanks for sharing
Kyle
anxiously awaiting your next post

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Full quiver - I guess it would.  Not sure how thick a hide would be cured by the borax.  I will say I shaped and dried a turkey skin and fan for a wall hanging close to 10 years ago with borax and it has held up well, even in a humid Georgia garage.  We'll find out soon enough.  Steve

Offline B4NZ41

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
How many squirrel pelts would you need to do this?  :p

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
One for each arrow.   :readit:      :biglaugh:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Looking good.
PS; Wouldn't carry that thing on my back during gun season! LOL
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I agree with you, Carpdaddy - unless I paint it orange!.  I use a bowquiver for hunting anyway.  This'll be for fieldpoints -

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Maybe this could be moved TTT or over to the how-to when completed.  I am waiting to see the finished product.
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Looking good, SOS! Can't wait to see the finished product! Thanks for sharing!    :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:    

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
The stuff I see and learn on tradgang continually amazes me.  Can't wait to see how this quiver turns out.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
hey sos this is a good thread man well  done
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Hmmmm .... I just so happen to have a couple of fresh hides in the deep freeze here.  Have to keep an eye on this one.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Good thread, wonderful writing style and I like your work habits. Good neighbors make good fences, right?   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Boar Hog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
nice job ( are drywall screws traditional  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:  )

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Well, how long's it gotta dry?  Any finished pictures yet?

Looks like it will be pretty darned nice.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I'm baa-aack.  Few more steps in the right direction.  Things looking okay, but a few lessons learned as well.  Here is the raw hide out of the form, along with the flat piece:

I pulled the hide out of the form and am letting it dry out a little more - as I stated earlier, I probably should have cut the stretcher with a little less slop, but should work okay.  Second, drying the flat piece on the neighbor's fence, not such a good idea unless you live in the dessert.  It did well, but we had some off and on rain.  I finally pulled it off, thinking it was good and dry, but when it continued to dry without being stretched, it it puckered a little and isn't as flat as I would have liked.  Find a way to dry it stretched flat inside!

Next thing I remember was to do a little sanding, especially on the part that will fit against your back to smooth out the rough spots - gently so you don't go through the hide:

Hope to do a little trimming and layout tonight.  Right now, back to detailing an old car for my daughter's 16th B-day.  Last time I wash it!

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Some more progress this evening.  Marked out the quiver, leaving about a 1/2 inch lip that will serve to "sew" the two halves together.

Tin snips work pretty well for trimming it.

I may be working too hard at trying to get it to keep it's shape, but just keeping it lined up...

Made a cardboard template to play with.  Remember, when marking on the skin side of the back piece of the quiver, it will be backwards....if you know what I mean.

For the strap, I'm using a $1 leather belt from GoodWill.  Excellent source of leather belts (for knife handles, too).  Using some cloth to work up a template to test out the fit.

Ask questions if it is confusing....

More to come.....  :wavey:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Darn...now I'm gonna have to try this too...I'll never finish all of these projects.  Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©