3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leaving a chain-on stand  (Read 298 times)

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Leaving a chain-on stand
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
I've got a chain-on (Gorilla) stand that I would like to leave in the tree all year. Is there a problem with this besides the possibility of theft (slim chance in this location)?

It is a difficult tree to get the stand into so I would like to just leave it. I also like to practice shooting from it and occasionally take my camera to film game.

I "re-hang" it periodically so the tree doesn't grow around it.

If the chain started to look rusty I guess I would remove it.

Anyone else leave a stand up all year?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaving a chain-on stand
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
Bob, Yes. I leave my stands up all year. I always check them prior to hunting season and usually will add a nylon ratchet strap around them even if it is a chain on. Every couple of years I will add a new strap and remove the old.

If the stand has a removable seat cushion I would recommend not leaving it out with the stand as the squirrels and weather will remove it fairly quickly by the next season.  Don't ask me how I know.  :banghead:   LOL
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
I leave a number of mine up but put a good pad lock on them. That way if someone tries to steal it they have to at least work for it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
thanks
I also put a strap on mine when hunting season starts. I've had the squirrels chew on those too.

No padded seat. I bring one when I'm hunting.

The thieves would really have to work at this one. There are no steps since I take my rapid rails with me each time.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
I do leave stands up, sometimes just dont get around to pulling them all (usually have 8-10 out)watch for the tree growing and making the chain so tight ya cant get it off the tree. I have had this happen several times in the river bottoms where I hunt, not so much in the hills. It can easily happen in a years time, leave it 2 and the dang tree will start to grow around the chain, usually have to cut the chain off the stand to get it. Ya need to inspect them or like you said re hang them every year though.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
just make sure it is nice and tight before you climb up in it next year....

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Spent half a day cutting an old chain on out of a tree this year.  Had been left for about 3 yrs and a man said I could have it.  Dont think it really hurts chain-ons if you loosen periodically.  On the other hand the sun is brutal on those ratchet straps so be careful with those.

Just my two cents

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
You might want to rethink leaving that chain on stand up.  A friend of mine left one up and the tree grew and weakened the chain.  He climbed up into the stand and the chain broke.  Ended up fracturing vertabrae and breaking his wrist!  He was able to crawl back to his truck and drive himself to the hospital!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by PICKNGRIN:
You might want to rethink leaving that chain on stand up.  A friend of mine left one up and the tree grew and weakened the chain.  He climbed up into the stand and the chain broke.  Ended up fracturing vertabrae and breaking his wrist!  He was able to crawl back to his truck and drive himself to the hospital!
That is exaclty why I use a ratchet strap and replace them as needed. It is CHEAP insurance.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©