3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treesaddle or Guido's Web  (Read 767 times)

Offline iowa mike

• Trad Bowhunter
Treesaddle or Guido's Web
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
I am considering buying a wear in type treestand for hunting in deeper on some public land. It's getting worse every year for theft, I didn't know so many people carried bolt and cable cutters in their packs. We can't use screw in steps on public land here in Iowa so I'm looking for some advice on which stand is better and what type of strap on steps work best for being able to circle the tree. Since I don't personally know anyone that uses a Tree Saddle or Guido's Web any advice is appreciated.
michael viehdorfer

Offline GreenJeans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treesaddle or Guido's Web
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Mike,
I have a Guido and love it.  You do have to practice with it a little when shooting a traditional bow (If you cant the bow when you shoot).  The seat is comfortable as well.  I use lone wolf sticks to climb the tree and I have a strap on step with five steps attached to it.  I double the steps together with zip ties and apply the grit tape for traction.  I use this at the top for working around the tree.  I hope that makes sense to you.
Remember--Some People are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Some people can paint the Sistine chapel, some people can finger-paint, and some people just eat the Crayons....

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Mike, I have a tree saddle and am liking it a lot. I've only used it for about six or seven hunts so am still learning. I especially like having to walk in on public land. I use rapid rails which to me are much easier to carry and put up than my lone wolf sticks. I use 2 strap on steps at the top. One has 3 steps on a strap and the other has 2 steps. I have found that if you put them all on one strap that you can walk the straps down the tree with your weight. Bit of learning to know how to shoot a longbow. Good luck
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
I love the TreeSaddle!  I find it to be safer and more secure than a treestand.  I figure if I have to put on those harness contraptions in a treestand, I might as well just use a TreeSaddle!  It takes a little practice to go up a tree and shoot with it on.  No different than putting up a hang on treestand.  The only difference is putting about four steps at the top for your feet to stand on and walk around the tree.  The TreeSaddle has nice pockets on it to store all my stuff.  If you get either one, practice shooting from about 5ft or less off the ground first.

Offline GreenJeans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
The strap system stands really shine in the scrubby trees where deer like to hang out.  I have hunted in stuff that a fixed position stand could not have been used.  Three arrows is right on about the practice.  I used a ladder stand at the house to practice off of with my Guido's web.  I just put some steps on the opposite side of the ladder stand and practice out of the web system.
Remember--Some People are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Some people can paint the Sistine chapel, some people can finger-paint, and some people just eat the Crayons....

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
I have a Guido's web and I love it.  It does take some practice but it isn't too bad to get used to.  It is extremely comfortable and I really feel secure.  No way you are going to fall out of the tree when you are in one.

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
I love my tree saddle have yet too shoot any thing yet but feel very safe in it. I noticed while practiceing I shoot better,because you must really keep your bow arm straight pointing at the target pushing through the animal.

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Do you have to cant your bows alot to shoot well out of these?. All of my bows are 60" long and I only cant slightly. So do you think it would work? I'm considering selling a couple stands and getting one also.
Iowa Mike hope you didnt mind my questions I didnt mean to hijack your thread.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
As Joe stated, you do shoot better using a TreeSaddle or Guido's.  You do not cant the bow as much in a TreeSaddle as you do standing.  There really is nothing to get in the  way of your bow if you are set up correctly using a Saddle or Guido's.  The Guido's has a nice supported seat and fork to keep you away from the tree, but the TreeSaddle is more comfortable for me because I can remain standing and move a little.  I have noticed deer that look up in trees around here and recognize treestands now since we demand bigger and wider treestands.  If you can get your hands on a TreeSaddle or Guido's Web to try, you will like how it feels shooting traditional out of one.  The biggest benefit I see is the way it forces your drawing arm to be inline with the arrow.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
I forgot to mention the biggest negatives about these TreeSaddles and Guido's Webs.  That is the "nature calls" factor.  You cannot just unzip and relieve yourself in one.  You also need to put your wallet in a chest pocket or it will dig and burrow at your hind end all day.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
The one other thing I found that is important is a set of knee pads. Your knees will get sore resting against the tree after a while. I killed my first deer last week from my treesaddle.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I think Cabela's has the tree saddle on sale for around $130 right now-or at least they did. I just bought one and have only practiced out of it once. How do you guys shoot if a deer comes in straight in front of you (on the other side of the tree) or to the right? Do you just work your way around the tree so the shot is always to the left or left rear for a right handed shooter?
BD

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
I hold my bow to left and hang it to the left so I work my bow to the left of the tree. Most times if the deer is going to pass you, stay still and take the shot with the deer going away. You will be surprised at the many positions you can shoot from.

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
How many of you have actually killed something wearing a tree saddle?  I guess I could ask this about any stand but just courious.
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Does someone have a link so I can look at Guido's web? I don't think I've seen one before.

Richard

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »
A friend of mine uses the web...maybe he'll see this an post....might do a search as well and find his post on the web.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
After hearing about both of them for the first time a few months ago and debriefing a hard-core Iowa whitetail hunter who swears by the one he uses, I decided to buy both.  It's minus 5 degrees here this morning and has been mighty cold for the past few weeks, so I haven't felt motivated to go out and give either of them a trial.  

The main reason I bought them was to take one of them with me to Alaska this fall for moose.  Right below treeline where we hunt there's a heavily used trail that's always frequented by bulls.  Several large spruce trees might enable one of us to use such a suspended stand fruitfully.  Moose hunting in this part of the world is normally spot and stalk or calling, but in this one particular case I think a light weight stand that's easily transportable in a Super Cub might be very useful.  

I wish I had some first-hand experience using both so I could comment meaningfully.  But until I get an opportunity to work with both I can't offer any useful input on the relative merits of either one.  The only thing I can say from looking and handling both of them is that the Guido's Web is built like the proverbial brick poo-poo house - very well constructed and sewn.

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
As dnovo said knee pads are a must,as far as bow length the shorter the better for me anyway. After I get all setteled in my tree I remove the shoulder straps and feel as secure as if they were still on,just for more clearance.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©