3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is NM Elk Do-it-yourself Feasible?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Is NM Elk Do-it-yourself Feasible?
« on: December 29, 2006, 02:56:00 PM »
Now that depression from the end of hunting season is starting to set in, I'm looking at options for next fall.  New Mexico elk would be a dream trip, but not sure if it is feasible to try a do it yourself type hunt down there?  

Drawing a tag would be the first obstacle.  Are landowner tags available to purchase if unsuccessful, or are they all snatched up by outfitters?  

How about public land access and hunting pressure?  Is it necessary to pack in to a remote area to get away from too much pressure?  Or does the limited number of tags help ease that?

Also considering Colorado, although there it would definately be a pack in trip.  Over the counter units are so tough unless you can get away from the crowds.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is NM Elk Do-it-yourself Feasible?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »
Whip,

If you already know how to hunt elk, it's one of the most realistic places to hunt elk via DIY.  Tags in the better units are tough to draw.  Landowner tags are available, but they're pricy and you still have to buy the elk tag on top of the landowner tag.  The units I've hunted did not require packing in.  In fact, most people drove right past some of the best hunting because there isn't much pressure due to the limited tags.  Hope that helps.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
Whip,
 I live in Albuq. for 5 years and elk hunted public land near Jemez-SW of Santa Fe and also between Chama and Taos. Lots of public land and not that much pressure in bow season.
 You might consider the Silver City area as well.
Colorado I've only hunted near Gunnison and the San Juans between Pagosa Springs and Durango-Good area but steep and high.
 Good Luck.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
If we were to put in for a draw and not be successful that way, how does one go about finding landowner tags?  I know some of the top areas can get really pricy, but if it were possible to get into a relatively good area for $1,000 or less, that is still cheaper than hiring an outfitter in Colorado, and seems like it would make some sense to do that.  I'm no expert, but have hunted elk enough to feel comfortable on our own.  Most important thing to me is to get into the right area with good numbers of elk, and limited pressure.  From what I have read it sounds like NM can offer that, and better quality bulls as well. Quality is not a big factor, but all else being equal, big is good!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 1 flyfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
We went to the Gila Nat forest (western NM) this season.  Did not shoot a bull, but had a great time.  Got close to some bears, that was pretty interesting.  We moved over to the Sacramento mountains (central NM) and called a mature bull to 5 yards.  Could not shoot because the tag was only good in the Gila.  All of the excitement and none of the work of packing an elk out.  We were road side camping, no need to pack in.
When it is cold I hunt
When it is hot I fish

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
Did you draw a tag for the Gila, or but a landowner tag?  
This is sounding interesting.  I was just studying the stats in Colorado for past years and they are not very encouraging in the OTC units.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »
Whip,

Drawing an elk tag in NM is not that easy.  Yes...you might get lucky and get drawn the first go around, but it's not likely.  If you want to be assured of an elk hunt next September, then Colorado is the way to go.

As far as finding a landowner permit for $1000 in a good area, well I just don't think you'll find that.  For a little more than $1000 you can have an outfitter in Colorado do a drop camp for you.

Furthermore, as far as southern NM, the good areas are good for a reason.  They are either very rugged(Gila Wilderness) or have restricted access(Sacramento Mtns).  BTW....these areas do hold some really big bulls!

"I was just studying the stats in Colorado for past years and they are not very encouraging in the OTC units."

What stats are you referring to???  Honestly...I think you have a way better chance of killing an elk in Colorado.  And in the right places, you could easily run into some 350+ class bulls.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »
I was looking at the Colorado harvest statistics for 2005.  I most non-draw units it looks like success rates ran around the 15% mark. (10-20)  Lower for bulls.  I know elk hunting is a low success deal to begin with.  By packing in we can probably do better than that, but the NM stats sure look better on average.  I think I saw that State wide NM success was about 27%?  That's almost double most OTC's in CO.  Don't get me wrong - I love CO, and with good homework I think we can beat those odds.  That is where we initially talked of going, but I thought I would check out other possibilities as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 06:01:00 AM »
Weeeeelllllllllll, here is my two cents:

I compare elk hunting in CO to deer hunting in MI or WI; generally LOTS of people gunning down whatever moves.  Elk hunting in AZ/NM is like deer hunting in IA; limited pressure and the high potential for a mature animal.  Good management of the resoource for a quality experience.  Yes, you COULD draw a quality area in CO...but with the way the point system has been changed for the NR, that will now take almost forever.  There are a few things I am NOT going to do in the hunting world and that includes CO elk, Ontario bear, and Quebec caribou...all have 10-20:1 bad experiences to every good one and I can't afford those odds.

The older I get the less important killing stuff is and the more important a quality experience is.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
That about sums it up Steve, the quality of the hunt is the most important factor to me too.  Quality doesn't mean big antlers to me (but I do love them!).  It is being able to get into animals and having opportunities up close and personal.  And that just doesn't happen very often in areas with too many hunters.  Pressure moves them out in a hurry.
I do think it's possible to have a quality experience in CO.  You can either accumulate points (I used mine last year on a great hunt in unit 76), or pack in to a wilderness area to get away from the ATV crowd and all the other pressure, or hunt private land.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Marty B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »
In NM, To get exclusive rights to a ranch the outfitter has to buy all the Landowner tag the state gives to a landowner.

The Rifle Bull tags are where the outfitter makes his money - the bread and butter of the operation. To get those bull tags and keep everyone else out of the ranch he has to buy the cow tags and the archery tags. If he doesn't buy them the landowner will still sell them to whoever will pay for them.  

A lot of outfitters eat a lot of archery and cow tags, and just count it as one the costs of doing business there.

Pick a reputable outfitter in the area you'd like to hunt and make them an offer on an archery hunt, you might be suprised.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »
Buglmin, is Pie Town far from the west side? I have a friend that lives there. If I could get a tag I got couple up a visit with him.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
Hmmm... Sounds like I was really underestimating costs down there.  I thought the Gila was in the $2-3,000 range, and just figured less popular areas would be less.  Even so, might still be something to look at.  If the hunting is good enough to make that worthwhile......Guess we might still consider it.  And we are not trophy hunters, so size isn't much of an issue.  Any good mature bull would sure be a trophy in my book.  More important is being able to get into animals, here some bugling, and have some close up opportunities.  What happens from there is just gravy.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
He has some acreage there that I may be able to get a tag from.  He says he has some nice bulls and a few muleys that would be a bonus.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
ttt
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Well, since my Wolverines are ruining the Big 10's fine bowl performance so far, I think I will bring this up for you boys...I am pretty interested in the replies too  :wavey:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Steve that was a tough one to watch for ya! Maybe when Florida dominates the Buckeyes it will make you feel better...

Oh yea, I have a vested interest in this thread too!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
Buglemin,

Any comments on outfitter Ross Johnson?? I was considering a archery hunt with him.
hunt it

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
If I were going to hunt elk for the first time...I would get myself a public land tag and hire an outfitter to guide me the first time....learn how its done...then go back on your own. If you have been before, give it a go, but make sure you are conditioned. I walked five miles a day for nearly a year before my hunt and worked out with a stair climber and bowflex machine to get ready...and I needed all of it!

The Gila is a great area..as the elk are more habituated to people than pure wilderness bulls are..as they see mountain bikers, hikers, etc on the Continental Divide trail all summer long...in other words, if you bump them, they generally move into the next drainage or two, and stop. Big wilderness bulls might run for five hours before they slow up.

If anyone gets drawn in the 16's I know some areas that should hold good number of elk..of course, you need to get in there and find em..but I can help out some.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Not having killed one before, I am sure no expert, but I have hunted them a number of times and had more than my share of chances.  Just haven't closed the deal, which anyone who has elk hunted will understand.  Sometimes it just doesn't happen the way you planned.  But I am comfortable that I can get close, and from that point on the guide can't help you much.  So do it yourself isn't a problem.  Getting a tag, and then getting to the right area is the key.  As I think about it, just getting there will be a challenge as well.  DIY pretty much means driving with a truck full of gear, and that is a trip from WI.  Not impossible though.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©