3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: no more head hunting  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: no more head hunting
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
I hunt for the enjoyment of being outside and bringing home at least a small portion of the food my family goes through in a year. I mainly hunt does, simply because the meat is better for the duration of the season, but if I see a buck and the first thing that pops in my head is " this is going to cost me a big taxidermy bill", then I'll take him. If I have a buck tag late in the season and have a good shot at a smaller, cull buck, I'll take it for the meat and raw materials, but it's mostly does for me.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline New to Traditional

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Im fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time in the woods.I've never had the desire even at 13 to take a young buck.That being said after passing up several forkies and bigger this last fall I took a 3pt.a couple weeks ago for my first trad. kill.Why, because it felt right at the time.Were blessed here in MO with unlimited doe tags in most of the state you can fill your freezer with.Besides a 1.5 plus yr. momma doe brigs a lot more challange than juvenile buck. I'll probably never take another young buck again but I'd still cherish that little buck as much as if he was a bruiser.To each his own but my personal take is fill up those doe tags and hold off on younguns.
Dont shoot feather light arras,shoot railroad ties.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
I hunt for food, I have always been this way. I look seeing 160+ "s but it's not for me.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
I like to shoot deer period, I'm not choosy.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Big deer are few and far between here. I enjoy the hunt and usually take a shot if one is presented.Sometimes I even kill one.   :campfire:

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
I see a repeated sentiment that I don't understand.
Many people feel that "horn hunting" is pressure ridden and unenjoyable?
I don't understand. I hold out for a mature &  big for my area buck, but in no way do I feel any pressure while doing so. If anything it's a freedom from pressure, and an absolute bonus if I am fortunate enough to connect on one.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
I like big racks. The last blacktail I shot was an 18" wide x 18" high 3x2 with eyeguards. You all would say seven pointer. That was two years ago. Had a shot this year at a very nice 4x4. Big body, big rack. The arrow didn't even get off the string, he moved so fast. Could've shot many does...but we're not allowed.
The first weeks of the season I'm hunting big bucks. On the last week I'm hunting forked horn or better. I've come across many legal bucks that I've let go. No regrets with that. There's no pressure with me...I just like to get out and hunt. As often as possible.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Right on, rybohunter!  That's part of what I was trying to say.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Many years ago I shot (gun) a very nice deer with 20 1/2" inside spread. That almost ruined me. Hunting was no fun anymore. I hardly hunted at all for around 15 years.
Since going back with longbow or recurve the fire is back in me. I love it. Love to count coup, but still haven't killed a deer. I will when the time is right.
When I hear the TV hunters start talking inches oof antler, I turn it off.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
since Ive started hunting public land last year Ive had to change my method of thinking about as good or better. Around here lots of the guys were shooting YOUNG deer cause its all they would see..Im still looking for MACHO but Im gonna be hard pressed to find to get on my wall
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I always try to discern the biggest buck in the areas I hunt and hunt him till I get him,a bigger one or the season ends. I fill my doe tags and spike tag when the situation is perfect. I`ve bowhunted for 45 years and have killed way over a hundred deer and see no reason to keep shooting small and medium bucks.

We do have a large doe we call Humpback that I would definitely shoot at any opportunity. She is without doubt the smartest deer around and a true trophy.

By the way the big buck won this year,but by not killing another small buck,I stayed hunting to the last day,otherwise my season would have been very short,and I enjoyed every minute of it.    Bob

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
I like shooting deer, gutting deer, skinning deer, butchering deer, preparing meat and lastly eating it.  I love the whole process.  In my neck of the woods I wouldn't have much fun if I was only into trophy deer hunting.  Chad

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
I try to only shoot bucks 140 and bigger.I watch deer all year,if i shoot the first buck that came by i might hunt 1 day and my season would be over.I LOVE TO HUNT BIG BUCKS.And yes they make a fool of me some years.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline HalfRack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
I've supplimented my big buck hunting with the camera. Makes we want to be in the tree more and get photos of that small buck or big doe, red headed woodpecker, baby racoon, etc. I'm just too far along to shoot little bucks anymore, besides, those long nose, snorting does are just the ticket once in a while.

-Mike

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
I always dream of the big one walking into range. Actually it has happened a few times, but I blew it. How ever, if I get a shot  opportunity, I'm taking it no matter the size.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
We have some real nice buck's here in s.michigan and we get two buck tags. I'll gladley fill A tag with A young buck and hold out for something better. Now down in Ohio it's A diffrent story the property I hunt on is managed for larger animal's and your only allowed one buck state law. Their's nothing like seeing A wild 150 inch animal in their natural habitat,If I shoot him great if not let the day-dreaming begin.I do love the whole process as Holm-made says that is what keep's me going.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
I trophy hunt till something else comes along   :bigsmyl: . I like to lay off the little bucks whenever possible and will take does anytime except during the rut.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
I am happy to take any deer with my bow, although I do not generally shoot forkhorns and spikes. I would much rather shoot a doe than one of them. It is amazing how many forkhorns and spikes have walked past me since I have decided not to shoot any buck that doesn't have a "rack". I have had far more opportunities at spikes/forkies in the past few seasons than I have on does.

It's like they know I'm not going to shoot them. I don't require a lot of meat in the freezer, so I would much rather let the small bucks walk in hopes of shooting a doe. I keep telling myself that one of those small ones that I passed on over the last few years will stroll by with some real hardware on his head one day.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by pseman:
I have had far more opportunities at spikes/forkies in the past few seasons than I have on does.

It's like they know I'm not going to shoot them.
Adolescent males are not too bright, mature males are a whole different story.  :D  

OK ladies, flame away!  :scared:

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
I've been 'bow hunting' for something like 20 years in MA, and 'seriously bow hunting' (lots of scouting, planning, stand hangin, trail cams, food plots, searching for acorns,etc) for probably the last ten years.   this is BY FAR the biggest buck I have seen while on stand, and it almost pains me to think that some of you might 'pass' on it cause it isn't big enough....those of you who do...NEED TO INVITE ME HUNTING      :biglaugh:  

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©