INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1st time Knife making questions  (Read 1940 times)

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
1st time Knife making questions
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
What are you using to bevel the blade?

Is linseed oil a decent finish for the wood handles?

Is the majority of the handle shaping done with a belt sander or is there something else?

Thanks
Derek
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st time Knife making questions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
My first few knives were done with just files.  The next few with a 6" disk sander (and files) and then I got a real cheap 1x30" belt sander (and a forge).  I'll be picking up a 2" belt sander later this week  :)

Handles I've always just done with a rasp and sandpaper (an 80 grit shop roll makes rounding everything over evenly a breeze).  It's far too easy to over do it on a belt sander.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
So jeremy what kind of belt grinder did ya get? I have one coming next week a 2 x 53 3/4 Dayton 1.5hp. Kinda wondering how thats going work out LOL. DMM Jeremy is very helpful when it comew to knife making.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Frank, I went the, uh, frugal way and got the 2x48 craftsman.  I picked it up today actually!  The box says 1/3hp, the specs on the motor say 2/3hp.  I was talking to a guy who makes knives for a living who said his lasted for 4 years and somewhere between 150 and 175 knives before the motor quit... I figure that'll get me by for awhile  :)   I can always attach the belt portion to one of the my spare motors if the hp isn't enough (should be though).

As for finishes, all of the oils (linseed, Danish, TruOil) will work for handles, but will occasionally need to be reapplied.  Linseed you'll probably end up reapplying every year (at least).  My 15yr old knife is at the end of it's 4th coat of TruOil, and that's the most durable of the bunch.  They're easy to apply and very easy to refresh with a new coat.

I used the water-based polycrylic for awhile, but it did not hold up very well.  Regular polyurethane or spar varnish are good choices.  The generally don't make the grain and figure pop like the oils do though.

I've grown particularly fond of handrubbing 4-6 coats of marine epoxy on handles.  It's thinner than normal epoxy so it penetrates well, brings out the grain like the oils, and holds up really well... Plus I still have 1/3 of a gallon of it!  Wipe it on thick, let it sit for a minute or two and wipe off all the excess.  Wait two hours and repeat.  After 4 coats all the grain will be completely filled... an addition 2 for good measure and you've got a real nice satin finish.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I started with that 2X48 craftsman and it worked quite nicely.  But I gotta admit I can't believe what the KMG grinder with all the different attachments can do.  Heck I'm old so I don't have as much time to fiddle around  ;)  Plus on Doug's advice I just picked up the KMG disc grinder.  Now if I can just find a Little Giant power hammer  :eek:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Sorry to jump in here but I had a question about he finishes.  How do you get a finish on a handle without getting the finish to build up around where the handle and the blade meet?  I did one the other day and taped the blade before applying the finish, but when I got done there was a poor looking finish line where the scales met the blade.  An amateur question I'm sure, but I'm a beginner.  Thanks.

Aaron

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
I appreciate the pointers. I am starting on one now, hope to finish it some time this weekend or next week.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
ALW, you are on the right track, you just need to tape the blade really well or remove the tape and clean it up before the finish sets.
Where the finish ends on a full tang knife is a different animal though.  If you're using a finish that builds up (poly, TruOil, Massey, varnish, etc) you either live with the line or feather it down to nothing.

With the true penetrating finishes you won't have that problem since they don't build up on the surface.  The way I use the marine epoxy is similar - the first four coats just fill up the pores and grain.  If there's no pores, the excess finish just wipes off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©