3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New short longbow  (Read 376 times)

Offline oberon

• Trad Bowhunter
New short longbow
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Greetings to all,
 I am new to this forum but not to the great sport of traditional archery, I am in my late 50's now and have been shooting off and on since my pre teen years.   Back into it now with a passion .
  At this time I shoot a custom Frank SanMarco longbow, 69" long 80# at 28".  Love this bow but think that I want a shorter longbow as well.
  So with that in mind I thought to ask you fellow shooters for a bit of feedback to help in my decision on a new bow purchase.
  The two bows that strike my fancy are the Saxon Archery Hawk series longbow and the Ron LaClair's Shrew  gold series .
  Would love to hear your thoughts on these two fine bows.  I have held nor shot neither , would love to view each and shoot if possible before I purchase either as they are not inexpensive bows.
  But if this is not possible I suppose that I shall have to rely on advice of others and my own gut feelings on them.
 Thank you in advance for your response.
 All the best to all,
Oberon

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New short longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Welcome!

I have not used the Hawk, however I have been the owner of two of the Saxon bows. I really enjoyed shooting both the Selkirk, which is a recurve, and the Mongoose, which was a 64 inch longbow.  LaClair's Shrew, by word of guys I have met that shoot them, have no equal.  

I can't see that you would have any problems with either.  If you are looking to go really short, the Shrew is the way to go.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
I can speak for the Shrew.  It is an awesome bow and Ron is a gentleman to deal with.  Ask anyone who shoots a Shrew.

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
I own a Shrew and it shoots great. It is 58 inches and 51 lbs @28". Great shooting bow!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
I own a Super Shrew.It seems the more I shoot it the better it gets.If you want to see what one can do do a POWWOW Search-"My name is Shrew How Do You Do" by me bentpole.

Offline oberon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I live in Oregon a bit South of Eugene, is there anyone near me that has a Shrew longbow that I could see and perchance shoot?
 Thanx,
 Oberon

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
If you shoot a SanMarco, you will be disappointed I think with most any other bow. Frank made one of the finest bows ever.
lll

Offline oberon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Yes I love my SanMarco just wanted a shorter bow as well.  Is Frank still making bows?  My longbow is  a beautiful piece of work.  perchance I should do a review of it?  Does anyone else out there shoot a SanMarco bow?  I have never heard of them from anyone else.
Best regards,
 Oberon

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Herb Meland of Pronghorn Custom Bows makes a sweet 56" R/D longbow.I've got one on order.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
get a 56" centaur

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
You will not find a better short longbow then the Shrew Classic Hunter. It's smooth fast accurate, silent and fits your hand like a glove. Both of my bows are 55lbs at 29 inch draws and are the best bows I have ever owned.  Won't find a better bowyer then Greg or a finer gentleman then Ron. Top notch boy and guys!

John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I had a SanMarco 10 or so years ago and thought a shorter bow was better and sold it. Mistake on my part. Pretty rare to find one these day. Sorry to get off subject.
lll

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©