3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Filson,KOM or Grey Wolf Wool ?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
Filson,KOM or Grey Wolf Wool ?
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I'm wanting a wool Jacket/shirt.I live in Mississippi so the minimum temperature I'll probably be hunting in is 20. I want water repellant and wind resistant warm wool.Also I don't want alot of bulk especially on my bow arm.I'm using Military wool sweaters right now and I really like how the sleeves at the armpit are small and don't hang down a foot. The Military sweaters are fine until the wind starts blowing but over the last week it's been cold and windy and I need something better. Any help is appreciated.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Filson,KOM or Grey Wolf Wool ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I have a KOM wool jacket and a Sleeping Indian Designs wool shirt.  I used them both on a recent deer hunting trip in New Mexico in early January, where the temperature varied from about 15 - 55 degrees, depending on the time of day.  I started in the early morning with both of them on, and by mid afternoon I wouldn't be wearing either one.  It didn't occur to me before the trip that I would ever be warm enough to not want either one on, and I should have also brought along a cotton camo tee shirt.

As far as quality, they are both top notch.  They look like they both could have been made by the same company.

I ended up ordering the shirt from Cabelas on a close-out; otherwise, I probably would never have bought such an expensive shirt.  They only had medium left, and I ordered it thinking I would send it back if it was too small, or maybe if it was only a little too small, I would keep it to encourage me to get down to my correct weight.  But it fits okay; a little snug, but they know you're going to be shooting with it on so there is plenty of arm movement.  A little snug is good, really, as it fits fine under my larger KOM jacket.

I don't really seem to have any problem shooting with either the snug shirt or the slightly loose jacket, but of the two, the snug shirt probably works a little better.  I am concerned about what will happen whenever I have to wash the shirt, as the sleeves are just right as they are, and I wouldn't want them to shrink any.  Maybe I'll have to dry-clean it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
They're all top quality stuff.  Don't know what design Filson offers its camo version in, but if it's the double mackinaw cruiser, it would be a little bulkier than the KOM or Gray Wolf.  Being wool, none will totally block the wind, but they do knock it down quite a bit.  I have KOM and Autumnwood and sit all day in 20 degree weather.  The Autumnwood liner knocks the wind down a little better.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Day one wool in ASAT would also be an excellent choice. I have the Day One and the Gray Wolf and both are excellent. The day one is a little less bulky and packed with features and is much less expensive, whereas, the Gray Wolf is a little warmer but the prices have gotten a little out of control IMO.
BD

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
The thing that seperate Greywolf from the others  is the fact that you can get the stuff custom made & fit to YOU. It`s all pretty damn nice gear, hence the price. I own KOM & GWW, but I have gone to buying the GWW from now on.I sold all my KOM except the bomber hat & the bunwarmer pants, as they were too worn out to sell.Also, Jeff`s customer service is the best I have found.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
I'll second what Bigriver said.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I don't own any of the garments from the big name wool camo makers, but I do now wear wool layers almost exclusively right down to my skin. My suggestion is to think your wool garments from the inside out. In other words start by thinking about your base layers first that can be worn in warm to hot weather and then progress to each addition layer as the temp drops.  How will the subsequent layer fit over the previous layer?  Will it cause binding?

A high quality thin merino T-shirt is actually more comfortable even in hot weather than a cotton T-shirt is.  Additionally, wearing a cotton T-shirt and cotton undies under wool garments undermines alot of the benefits of wearing wool outer garments in cooler temps.

I've gotten my merino base layers from a local outdoor hiking type place that primarily caters to the granola crunching crowd.  They are very well made, but not available in camo patterns or blaze orange.  Does anyone know where I can get good quality thin merino T-shirts (short or long sleeved) in camo or blaze orange?

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 03:11:00 AM »
Check this place out.I'm going to have them make me the slip on sweater,but with a hood. It's appears to be good stuff,and they will work with you on what you need.

http://www.theknittree.com/showcamo.html

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Filson's is top quality stuff, imho.
Midway USA is having a great sale on their Filson's wool clothing, even as we speak.
Best Wishes

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks WindWalker...I just went there (Midway) and bought a Filson sweater I've been wanting...Midway has some pretty good prices on their Filson sale items.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Dirty Bill:  Thanks for the tip.  Looks like good stuff at decent prices, and I like the idea of buying directly from the craftpeople.  Camo patterns are reminiscent of Fratzke camo.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
Tried all 3, and prefer Gray Wolf.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to order a Gray Wolf in the future but I couldn't resist the Filson Cruiser at Midway. The price was right and if you look,there's a $20 discount promo code. Thanks Tradgangers.  :wavey:
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Problem Child:

I live and hunt in Michigan where the temperature during our three month bow season can, and often does vary by as much as eighty degrees (as evidenced by our most recent season, for example). Aside from widely fluctuating temps, come mid-season, you can pretty much expect anything to be thrown at you. Strong winds; Driving rains; Freezing rain; Heavy snow- name it. In Michigan you LEARN to dress for anything or you don't hunt. There are few "bluebird" days during our rut.

As a fellow traditionalist I also appreciate clothes that are not bulky or too loose fitting and do not interfere with the bow string. There are lots of good choices when it comes to wool, but anyone who has read my posts on this subject knows that I strongly favor Filson products. I've relied on Filson products (not just their woolens) for over twenty years because they work, and because they are durable.

If I could recommend one Filson product more than any other that really is worth its weight in gold, its the "Guide Vest". It is very warm and the upper part which covers your shoulders is absolutely windproof and water-resistant enough to wear during an extended heavy rain without soaking through. It also satisifies my requirement of not being bulky or restrictive. This one garment more than any other has made many a hunt much more enjoyable. Toss it in your day pack or possibles bag and forget it's there- until you need it.

"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
I haven't owned the others, but I do have a set of Gray Wolf woolens and love it!  It's so good that I wouldn't even bother looking at anything else.
1) Great product
2) All wool is expensive, but GWW is very competitive on price compared to the others.
3)Trad Gang Sponsor!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Dirty Bill:  Thanks for the tip.  Looks like good stuff at decent prices, and I like the idea of buying directly from the craftpeople.  Camo patterns are reminiscent of Fratzke camo.
That's why I'm going to have them make me the pullover.Can't go wrong for the price,and it will actually work as camo.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
My KOM brown "camo" is not camo at all now,since the  camo colors are not woven in,they are very faded now,compared to new. My input is,I had a brown camo shirt,brown camo pants, and the deadfall? color pants and the deadfall color coat,(that someone "found" and didn't return.)

The bottom line is,I would never buy it again,because there are better,cheaper alternatives to KOM. Rant over.   :campfire:

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Without offering an opinion about KOM products, I would simply recommend to anyone seriously considering purchasing KOM woolens to take a moment to read King Cavalier's (the founder of KOM) own summary of the history of his company on the KOM website. Then ponder   :confused:   - while all this was going on, who was attending to the matters of quality control and customer satisfaction?

http://www.kingofthemountain.com/http/viewkingspeak.php?sid=98
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline feve316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
If you are still looking I have a KOM L trapper pullover in autumn brown I will let go for $150 plus shipping its in excellent shape. My email is on my profile.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
ttt
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©