3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is Sitka Spruce a good bow wood?  (Read 674 times)

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Is Sitka Spruce a good bow wood?
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I have a couple of nice Sitka Spruce trees downed on my lot that I haven't bucked up yet. Before I do, though, I would like to know if Sitka Spruce makes a good bow wood. I heard that someone on Prince of Wales Island made Sitka Spruce long bows, but I haven't been able to confirm this, or find any information by searching the web.

Thanks.
Chuck

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is Sitka Spruce a good bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
If you sinewed the back it might work as well as  juniper.  Sitka  spruce  is  a  good arrow  wood.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Old growth Sitka Spruce is one of the lightest weight to strength ratio woods of any kind.
It used to be used to make airplanes a few years back.
My dad and I used it to build a drift boat several years ago. It was the lightest and easiest rowing drift boat I've seen.
Someone should try it for bow wood. I would think it would be good.

John

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Any wood can make a bow. Sitka Spruce is very strong for its weight so,  as Jim said-it might do well with a sinew backing....but SS would never be my first choice a sa bow woood. Denser harder  woods are generally superior bow woods to anyunbacked conifer. And, while I love my sinewed juniper Owl's blazing speed I don't expect the durability from it that I'll get from my sinewed Osage.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Might be pretty good between a couple strips of fiberglass, tho.  Only one way to really find out.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I guess I'll split off a few staves and set them aside for possible bow making experiments. I'm not sure I'm crafty enough to make a bow. I have been trying to make arrows the way Jay Massey did by splitting shakes off of spruce logs and planing them down. All I've managed so far is a pile shavings and couple of sticks that sorta look like arrows!
Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©