3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this deer suffering?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this deer suffering?
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
This deer, a young button buck, walked up to the feeder in our yard about noon today. Look at the back left leg. It hobbled around, it ate some corn and came back later for more corn. Do you think it is suffering? Would you allow it to live or put it out of its misery? I almost got sick when I first saw it!

John

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this deer suffering?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
He probably would not have a chance running away from predators and might have a problem getting around in deep snow.
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
Looks like he is recovering well to me. He will probably loose the leg below the tendon but seems to be fairly healthy otherwise.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
He looks healthy enough as far as body weight and such. I doubt he is pain now, as it looks like everything is healed as well. I would have to observe him some to be able to decide, I know if I was missing an arm and 3 fingers, I doubt I would want ya to shoot me, he may feel the same. Shawn
Shawn

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
I saw a 3 legged doe years ago in deep snow and she could motor really well. It looked clumsy but her balance was actually very good. Just as a side note. Keep an eye on that little guy, if he makes it till next fall. Would be interesting to see what kind of headgear he comes up with.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I don't think "deep snow" will ever be a problem for this deer. Remember gang, John is in Alabama.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
He also looks to be recovering to me. His overall body looks pretty good (not thin), I agree with Ron about losing everything below the tendon. There was a three legged doe near were I grew up We used to see her all the time I know she was without the leg for at least 3 years. She had fawns all three years and could run very well. In fact when she was running you would  think she had all 4 legs, but when she was just easeing around feeding she looked very clumbsy! We always watched for her and had many theories and "what if's" about how she lost it. I think he will recover just fine and make an interesting deer to watch!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Yeah, But the Rut sure is going to be FRUSTRATING for him  :readit:    :goldtooth:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
If he is brown he is goin down...  ;)  

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Deer are very tough critters and he looks like he is doing OK.  If I was hunting, had a tag and he offered a good shot, I'd probably take him, but I wouldn't put him down outside of that.

I killed a 3 leg buck a few years ago that was running on one front leg.  He was doing fine til he met my WW.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
John

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Animals function a whole lot better than we do if missing a limb.....a friend of mine had a three legged rotweiller once...believe me, he could still hold his own.

As far as killing him, I'd leave him alone. Let mother nature take care of it...
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
I agree with above, fatest dog I ever seen had three legs and when people say, oh it must of been a front one that was missing I just smile and say, nope the whole hind leg. This dog escaped from a kennel and we needed a car to catch him with a noose. Shawn
Shawn

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Shawn's right - but make it 4 fingers and we might have to reconsider  :)  .

Steve

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I dont think wild things feel sorry for themselves,its a purely human emotion for me.They just keep on living.Just a thought.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks pretty mangled.  They are tough, though.  Wish I thought to take better pictures, but this buck I shot had a bad back right leg.  If you look closely, you can see a big lump on the joint - right at the does tail.  His ham was smaller (atrophied?) and the lower leg was turned out almost 90 degrees and skinny from little use.

He was moving so hard on the trail of the doe, I didn't know he had a bad leg until I was ready to field dress him....so, long story short, hopefully he'll be alright.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
I had a three legged doe on my property for two or three years. I watched her with one fawn one year and two the next. She made it just fine. They are some tough critters....
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Should be ok til the yotes get him but thats just nature at its purest.

Offline hera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Long way to go for this deer.

Dry necrosis at heel but knee look ok.
Natural amputation are not often .It is very easy to break her right leg ,if so ,time is count.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »
i saw a specal on tv once about a two legged dog, one front on one side and one back on the other. That dog ran around all over the place. When it wanted to stop it would run up and lean against somthing. It was the darndest think i ever saw. it didnt slow him down a bit.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©