INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: This weekends projects  (Read 1155 times)

Offline dave hiltz

• Trad Bowhunter
This weekends projects
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
here are a few knifes I made this weekend, tell me what you all think of the designs

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: This weekends projects
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
In my experience, the upswept tip keeps wanting to dig into sheaths.  So you have to be careful when resheathing.
Keep that in mind when you make the sheaths.
Like the wood on that bottom one.
Dan

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
I like it. Don't know much about making them, more of an assembler here. LOL! But i do like them. I can see where it would be tough to make a sheath. Might want to consider making a plastic liner for the sheath.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
I really like the handle on the bottom one and the knife point on the top one.  Is the top one a necker?  Nice job!

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline dave hiltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
I had not thought about the sheath problem, I have tried to make sheaths but I am not a leather man, the ones I have tried to make look like a 2 year old made them.  The top knife is one I like for deer, and the other two designs i like when skinning bears.  The handle on the bottom one is from a cherry burl, this time of year I cruise the woods looking for burls.  But you have to wait till next year to use the ones you got this year, they have to dry slow.

Offline dave hiltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Is there anyone who will make sheaths that might trade a knife for making a few sheaths?

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
Those are nice but your weekends must be alot longer than mine. That burl looks great!
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
You might try a sheath with a rawhide liner and sew light leather (buckskin) over the rawhide. I just saw one like that in a crafts book.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline farmboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Very nice knives, those handle designs make the whole blade usefull.  The way I look at it, you spend very little time sheathing and unsheathing if you have to be carefull doing it, it is a small price to pay for a functional knife. I broke my first attempt at a file knife "testing it" after oil quenching.  Yes the steel does actually get hard again!......ha/ha. I am working on my second now (visible tang lawn mower blade).....its turning out good as far as I'm concerned.......This knife making is lots of work but I'm sure like me , you loose track of time while doin it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©