3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow/Fletch question-Better flight/groups with cock feather in-WHY??  (Read 515 times)

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tried shooting with the cock feather in and my groups tightened way up and the flight seems to be better as well. Anyone care to explain why?  Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow/Fletch question-Better flight/groups with cock feather in-WHY??
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
After the arrows first initial flex into the riser, because the string sort of slips around our fingers, it rebounds and flexes away from the riser about the time the fletching is at the shelf.  That flexing away allows almost total clearance of that cock feather.  Alot of the time you can come down with your nock set a bit too.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
i'm no pro...just going off what i've been told.  the guys at black widow say that what is most important about a fletch clearing the shelf is whether or not the quill actually runs across the shelf.  so in other words, there are 3 positions (on a 3 fletch arrow) where the quill won't touch the shelf....just the bare arrow will run across the shelf.  bottom line, if you can get the setup where no quill touches shelf....that setup is best.  

they recommend the cock feather up at 12 o'clock.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:04:00 AM »
I can't shoot well enough to tell the difference.   :campfire:

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »
I'm right there with ya Dirty Bill
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
I would think that your arrows might be slightly too stiff and the little kick of the cock feather against the window is helping even this out. I am also not a good enough shot to go by my groups, but I can see perfect arrow flight and its a thing of beauty. No wobble or visible paradox, just staight spiraling feathers to the target.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
What Crandog said plus it gets the hen feather off the shelf (rotates it out of the way and paradox gets cock feather out of the way)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Feathers are fletched for the wrong hand causing bad placement of feather on rest with cock feather out. Turning feather in allows fletch to clear shelf rest. JMO.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Jim Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Kelly Peterson (formerly of Arrows by Kelly, now Foxfire Archery) has some good rationale for this (w/pics) on the Foxfire site - look under "Kelly's Tips" then under "Other Great Tips".

Jim
Jim

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
If your nocking point is "good",  then consider your release.  Whether you shoot split or three under,  as your fingers tire, the and pressure of you fingers on the string changes, like between your index and middle finger, you will experience the same charateristics as the fletch striking the shelf. I shoot target and 3D tournaments all year long with fingers, and that can be a major concern for accuracy!  Just my $ worth!

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
NOTHING IS WRONG!. As a couple of people refereenced above. Cock feather in actualy provides BETTER fletching clearance due to "paradox". Unless you rotate nocks after glue-up most of us fletching with lots of helical wind up with part of the bottom hen feather almost on the very bottom of the shaft. Cock in works better in that scenario for many people.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©