INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Blade Advice Needed  (Read 909 times)

Offline hunter83

• Trad Bowhunter
Blade Advice Needed
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
I am new to the knife repairing thing and I don't have any expensive power tool equipment. I got a knife and decided to shine the blade up, it had scratches, rust, and grind marks. I was able to remove the rust and Smooth some of the grind marks out with 200 grit sand paper. However, the grind marks are still really visible. Any recommendations about what tool I should get or use to remove the grind marks and finish the blade. I am willing to spend a little bit of money on power tools with that is whats needed instead of using regular sand paper.

Thanks Guys for the help.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blade Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
what kind of finish are you trying to achieve?
for a mirror finish i use die polishing stones
in 180 -240-320-400 grit. first stone in one direction then crossways with the next higher grit stone making sure that all the marks from the previous stone are removed before going to the next higher grit and so on always use oil stones and some sort of oil it keeps the stone from loading up with crap and tearing the steel
then go to 400 paper in the same fasion as the stones then 600 and 800 then 1500 grit water proof paper with windex  then wham -bam on the buffer . presto mirror finish   it takes alot of elbow grease.
hope this helps
kevin

Offline hunter83

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blade Advice Needed
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
Thanks Kevin. I am not looking for a mirror finish but satin. Removing grind marks seems to be the biggest problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©