INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Help out a rookie...  (Read 1196 times)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Help out a rookie...
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Hey guys i want to try and build my first knife, my question is whats the most accesible quality material that i can get? also where can i get it? Any input is greatly appreciated. Curtis
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help out a rookie...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
That's a pretty broad question Curtis. Do you want to make one from raw materials?
Are you intending to forge, use stock removal or??
Not to dissuade you, but probably the best chance at significant succes is to begin with a kit from houses like Jantz, or Texas Knife Supply. They offer lots of styles & a large choice of components. Most blades are already heat treated & ready to mount.
You can customize these kits or just buy components that'll turn out a nice piece with essentially the use of hand tools. Some kits require some building & tools skills and are not just a parts assembly type thing.
Building from scratch is very gratifying but sometimes very frustrating as well.
I'd give a kit a try then step into other methods as your interest expands.

Good luck!!

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
I would also looking into a Helle blade or kit. Basically all you do is drill a hole in the handle blank, epoxy the blade and guard in place and shape the handle. It's a great inexpensive way to get hooked.  www.dryadbows.com  sells them.

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
Yep...this is what I do most of the time. On occasion I'll take a blade and cut it down or change it. Jantz supply and sheffield supply are also good ones.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline Lytic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
I guess my opinion differs in the fact that I never have or will do a kit knife. Nothing wrong with them I just get most of my joy from complete fabrication. There are plenty of sources of steel and handle material that make good knives. Simple fact is being your first knife, it probably won't turn heads but will serve more as a learning project, that is unless you are already skilled at metal working and or woodworking. I wouldn't put much effort into obtaining expensive or hard to find mats until you get some exp. My first knives were made from lawnmower blades, leaf springs, files, saw blades, and plow shanks. Check sparks before you commit to one. Black walnut is a nice handle material that is fairly inexpensive and easy to work.
If you're not first you're last

Offline Lytic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Forgot to add, try something small and simple like a skinner without a guard. You try a bowie knife and you'll just burn yourself out.
If you're not first you're last

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. But i really wanted to make it raw materials and as stated i doubt it will be much of a looker but more of a learning experince. Either way ill post pics and look for advice.
Thanks. Curtis

(i know this proabaly isnt the smartest way to go but what can i say im hard headed)
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Like lytic said, the best experience is gained by trying it. You can read all about it and look at all the pictures you want but doing it will teach you more than anything. If you have the desire, I'll bet you'll do fine. Mike
 P.S. I don't know much about working steel and I already have enough things going without trying it. That's why I like the premade blades right now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©