INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: carbide drill bits  (Read 1519 times)

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
carbide drill bits
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
I am makeing cheater knives out of carbon saw blades. they are very hard to drill. I have tried cobalt, and carbide tiped masonry bits. I had no luck with the cobalt bits. the masonry bits work ,but I go through two or three bits per knife at about three dollers a bit. I broke down and bought two solid carbide bits at 15$ each. I drilled two holes realy easy but when I looked at the bit it had chips gone at the tip  :mad:  Is there a certon way to use the carbide tips like going slow or useing oil? ????HELP????
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline Leftieshot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbide drill bits
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
My experience with solid carbide drills has been very high RMP, very true running drill chuck (no wobbling), peck drilling, air blasting the drill which will cool and clean the chips out.  Be aware of your depth, you are very prone to break it when the tip breaks thru the other side of the work piece, time and patience.  Wear safety glasses, carbide can shatter!!!!

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
cobalt would be better IMHO. And CheatR knives are made from old butcher knives  :bigsmyl: .<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
sticshooter. How do you use the cobalt bits. fast, slow , with oil? and what do you call a knife cut out of an old saw blade?

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
I go sloooow and use oil. What do I call a knife made from a sawblade? Look at my avatar.<><  :thumbsup:

TGMM

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
thanks fellas. BTW sticshooter I looked at your home page and all I can say is WOW! I saw all kinds of styles I am going to steal   :p

Offline farmboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
El oso

I am probably way out to lunch here, but are you softening these blades before drilling?

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
no because i'm afraid i cant harden them again

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
LOL! (BTW sticshooter I looked at your home page and all I can say is WOW! I saw all kinds of styles I am going to steal ) get some cobalt bits and oil and go slow. BTW you can use a propane torch and just heat the handles.<><

TGMM

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
I was wondering if I could just heat the spots I want to drill thanks dude!  :thumbsup:

Offline farmboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
Yes you could try that.....i think because the blade is hardened already you would in effect be drawing a little more temper at the drilling sites........Just stay away frrom your cutting edge and be ready to quench the blade so the heat dosnt travel to far......I would try a propane torch......drawing to a puurple color should be good ehough especialy if you use cobalt.....give it a shot on a piece of scrap first.

Another option would be to submerge your cutting edge in water while softening your drilling sites.  Good luck let me know how it turns out  :)

Scott

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
thanks for the help fellas

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
You can also buy a heat paste from most places that sell gunsmithing supplies.  Cover the blade in the paste, then drill your  holes.  The paste doesn't let the blade get too hot,and transfers the heat away from the metal it is covering.

Gunsmiths use it to cover the bolt when heating and bending a bolt handle on a rifle.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline Caveman IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
A simpler method to anneal the handle but not the blade part would be to put the blade in a vise while heating the handle. The mass of the vise is such that the blade part wouldn't overheat. Larry
Farmboy, did you get that package I sent?

Offline farmboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
Larry,
Yes i did i tried to send you a couple of emails through the forum but I they didnt go through. I was like a kid at Christmas! to say the least.  I love that osage I sanded some and tung oiled it already(couldnt wait)  its cool almost iradecent.  The "small piece of steel" is awesome too love the wording on the pkg. hehe....When I get it done i'll post pics. I sent you 2 emails after recieving the pakage 3 days ago and just assumed you must have been busy?  I will try one right now let me know if you get it.  What a treat to have a blade ready for handles!

Offline Caveman IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
Scott,
   I didn't get any e-mails.  I was worried that it got lost.  Just send to "[email protected]" and I should get them.  I don't have any message from tradgang now.  Don't know what the problem is. Thanks for responding.  Nice job on your first knife.  Larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©