INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Master Leather Craftsmen...  (Read 2241 times)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Master Leather Craftsmen...
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
While no builder of fine blades, I am the owner of many. As such, I really appreciate a fine sheath to go with them. I had a beautiful knife that I designed built by Terry Davis of Wolftrack Knives, formerly of Alaska, now of Arizona. Raindrop damascus, snakewood handle, mosaic pins...works superbly in the field. The sheath however,was always "functional" but nowhere near as good as the knife. The knife gets used some, but in all honesty the sheath never held it securely so it usually sat on my desk with a few other knives. My oldest son Chase asked one day if we could trade for it (a boy after my own heart), and after a deal was struck involving extra stall cleaning, fence work, and some attitude guarantees, he had a new knife.

Literally right down the road from me is my good friend, saddlemaker Bo Ballard. I often oggle at the awesome samples of his leather work while we tell tall tales. I took the old sheath in with the hopes Bo could put a few more stitches or something to tighten it up. After hearing the story about Chase, he offered to make him a new sheath.....what I picked up today dropped my jaw.

Needless to say, if I hadn't already promised Chase the knife, he wouldn't get it, just because of the sheath! Bo is truly a master leather crafter and I hope he finds some time to work on a new project I just handed him (I went back to the house and got a new knife and immediately drove back up to his shop...that's how excited I was). Only problem is, Bo says I can't pay him with a hug like Chase can   :rolleyes:  

So, after that long winded presentation, have you ever had a good sheath that turned a good knife into a great knife? Or, a great knife that begged for a better sheath? Show me some of your finer leather work that carries your blades. Interested in seeing some new patterns and designs.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Master Leather Craftsmen...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
JC it don't get no better then what you just posted. TOP OF THE LINE!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Beautiful work! Beyond me at this time and point! LOL!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
Thats a great looking sheath. I can make a O.K. knife but I just plain stink at leather work. Thats next on my list of things to learn! LOL
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
WOW!    :eek:  that's awesome
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Drop Dead Gorgeous!!!!!
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Lookinforlunkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
What a great story, and a real win win for everyone involved.  Your son is gonna feel he earned that knife by workin for it and therefore cherish it probably forever.  You will be proud of your son for earning it and your neighbor can feel good about doing something special for your son.  I just love it, makes me wish I had a son of my own.
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
JC, You not been gettin' your hair cut.  Seems that boy knowns just when to pull the wool over!

Naw Chase wouldn't do that.  Beautiful  sheath & knife.  It's really nice when your son is into your passion  :thumbsup:  

The only other sheath that could rival that one would be Shell's St Jude's bead work...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline farmboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
WOW, UNREAL!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Chase is one blessed little Man! That is beautiful!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I woldn't dare put a pic of my leather work on the same post as that thing. My work ain't bad, but that one there is pure sex!  :notworthy:
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Wow, JC, that is awesome!
I make a decent sheath, but I ain't about to put a photo in this same thread!!!  Can't even come close to that one, at least yet.

Now...what are you gonna come up with to trade him back for it?
By the way, maybe he should go into investments or something!  His trade already doubled.
Dan

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Aww come on, I'd love to see ANYONES carving etc. This guy works with leather for living, been doing it for about 40 years now so no one should feel bad. I really would love to see some more for further ideas.

Doc, that beadwork is a stunner, who the world knows how many hours went into that thing! Gorgeous.

We don't give our boys an allowance, but they have chores responsibilities, duties etc. We believe in making them wait for the payback...not so inclined for instantaneous gratification then. Yes Doc, when it comes to the things I'm passionate about, I probably do spoil him (his little brother hasn't been bitten by the bug...yet). But the worse that could happen is he says "Dad, I'm not gonna use this anymore" Oh the horror in that...I'd have to use it then! As long as the straight "A's", the total commitment to the sports they choose, the great attitudes, the chores, not batting an eye when their mother or I ask them to do something, the smart life decisions they make all continue, I'll be happy to get them fine bows, knives, guns, flyrods whatever if my budget can afford them. Trust me, they earn em, one way or another.

I also talked to Bo about the knife I dropped off to him. He said he wanted a couple of weeks to think about the design. I asked him what it would cost to do another sheath like Chase's and he said "You think $50-75 would be too much?"  I had a hard time answering cause I couldn't catch my breath. Talk about "under charging"!  :eek:  I think I've got a great idea for St. Judes item...

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:

I also talked to Bo about the knife I dropped off to him. He said he wanted a couple of weeks to think about the design. I asked him what it would cost to do another sheath like Chase's and he said "You think $50-75 would be too much?"  I had a hard time answering cause I couldn't catch my breath. Talk about "under charging"!   :eek:   I think I've got a great idea for St. Judes item...
:scared:    :eek:

I guess my sheaths if I sold them would garner about .50 then.  LOL!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Carbon Caster,  I don't know about that.  Seems like one Carbon Caster sheath was equal to one tippit knife.  Actually you are right as I don't get anything for my knives except the pleasure of gift too  :)  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
I don't know about that Brian....I've seen some of your work and was hoping you would show us more.  :wavey:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
That is sweet JC!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Ok JC since no one else will start here is my best one to date. I finally figured out how to do basketweave and did this one as  a X-mas present for my dad this year. Not up to par with the one you showed but not terrible. I need to straighten out my weave a little. Probably should have edged it also.

"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by tippit:
Carbon Caster,  I don't know about that.  Seems like one Carbon Caster sheath was equal to one tippit knife.  Actually you are right as I don't get anything for my knives except the pleasure of gift too   :)   Doc
I have another Tippit knife here right now my friend.  It is going to get a new dress to wear to the ball, then back to the coach before it becomes a pumpkin.  Still planning on design.

JC,

I will have to take a few pics of the sheath Sylvie made me for the knife gifted to me a year ago.  It is something special.  The knife, the man that gifted it to me, the man that restored it, and the sweet lady that made the sheath are all something special in my book TOO!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
That is just about the best sheath I've ever seen!
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©