INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lets see your knife shop  (Read 1816 times)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets see your knife shop
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Drooling over tippits KMG got me to thinking I'd like to see everyones setup! Mine is in my garage, where my wife parks, so I gotta keep everything out of her way! Heres my work bench with my one brick forge, olive oil quench and my toaster oven for tempering that I took apart and put a reg electric oven controler on

Heres my Grizzly sander, I just use two belts 80 and 120 grit and then have only two buffers with only two buffing grits coarse and fine Brownells.

Finally heres some of my latest knifes

Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets see your knife shop
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Well, here's the outside:

I put it up last Spring right before the baby was born.  It's not completely finished (there's gonna be a blacksmithing section off the back) but it's functional.  20x24 with a 8x8 walled off finishing/archery room.
I'll get inside pics tomorrow  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Jeremy why the stilts? Is in a low area? Thats a very nice shop and can't wait to see the inside. Is it heated?<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Leftieshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
My hobby knife shop is being born as we speak.  A lot of my work is done at work still.  No pics yet.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
Frank, I built the shop on piers b/c it was cheaper than regrading the area and pouring a slab.  That front corner is about a foot and a half off the ground and the opposite corner is about an inch off the ground.  I didn't want anything below grade, so that would have meant a lot of fill.
Right now there's no heat, but there will be a propane heater going in... I had to get the insulation inspected before getting the permit for the heater.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeremy:
I had to get the insulation inspected before getting the permit for the heater.
Permit? we don't need no stinking permit!    :biglaugh:

you need a permit to put a heater in but you can have a forge? gotta love New England building codes. LOL
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Brent, that ain't the half of it!  The hoops I've had to jump through to get this glorified shed up have been ridiculous!    :banghead:   There's still at least one more inspection to go (then comes the blacksmith area  ;) )

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
My knife shop would be whatever part of the workbench I can clean enough space off to put whatever I'm working on there.It's a bow making/arrow making/knife making/tree stand storage/camo storage/fly rod refinishing/fly tying/just plain old stuff holding shed that's 12' x 20' and already waaayyyyyy too small for what I intended,and that's after filling up the original 10' x 12'...........

Now if I could just convince the Wife how much I need that new 24' x 60' steel building...
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Looking in from the side door:

There will be a bench all along the wall with the ladder with cabinets above.
Centered in that section will be my 6ft traditional-style woodworking bench as well.

The grinders go on the bench (yet to be made) - right now they're on my horizontal/vertical router table.
The tablesaw goes centered along the length of the shop in front of the double doors.  Lots of room to move big sheets of plywood and long boards.  The chopsaw goes along the 8ft long wall opposite the side door.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Looking like a awesome shop Jeremy! Sucks dealing with inspectors when building on your own on your own property! Dang can't imagine that.

varmint, I know where your coming from. If you look in my first pic you can see my Delta drum sander I use making my own lams for my TD recurves. In the closet to the right of that is my 6x48 belt disc sander all on wheels so I can wheel it out when I use either. I've got some fold up saw horses that I use ALOT for a portable bench in the middle of my garage space where most of my "work" takes place.

Funny thing is this garage was where me and my wife first lived when we moved onto this property some 27 years ago. Built my garage complete with garage door headers but studded up the opening and sided and finished it completely inside and out. Had four rooms, kitchen, bath, living rm and bedroom all heated with one central woodburner. Best time of my life. Worked great as we was building our real "house" till the twins came and then I had to rush and finsih our home! lol

Plus side to all this is I have a complete bathroom and wood heat in my knife building, bow building garage where my wife now parks her car! lol
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Jeremy,

I just moved. I'm in the process of rebuilding my shop so I can complete the last 10 knives I have orders for.

I would like very much to see how you completed the inside of your shop...benches, etc. and how you did your layout.

Thanks for taking time to update so I can "rob" your good ideas!!!

Any photos available?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Ray, here's the floorplan

The grinders are in red... vises are in purple

There's cabinet and drawer storage under the benches along the wall on the left (some heated to keep stuff from freezing in the winter) - I still need to make a bunch of the drawers)
I'm starting to put cabinets up along the wall... that'll be a long process.  The floorplan will change a little more once I get a good jointer and finish my woodworking bench.  The one I'm using now I got from my brother when he moved out to CO.  I think his will go along the back wall if I ever finish glueing up my top.  Right now there's also a book case in the little room and by the front doors on the right wall.  Lumber storage racks are above the doors all along the front wall (10ft ceilings).  I still need to put up the rest of the lights, but it's slowly getting finished.  
Life with a toddler didn't leave much time for working in the shop, let alone on the shop and with a new baby... well she has daddy wrapped around her tiny finger! LOL!  I am finally getting in the shop though.  :D

Offline skillet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
LC you are turning out some nice knives in your corner of the garage there.
R.C. Evans
Blacksmith & Bladesmith Apprentice. Chaser of deer and squirrels. Builder of mediocre bows and some nice arrows. "I've never been lost, but have been might misplaced on occassion."

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
My shop is too dirty for pics! How about some tool pics? The backbone of my shop is my KMG with flat platen, 10" wheel, and small wheel attachment. It has a 3 HP, 3 phase motor. I also do all my own heat treating and rockwell testing on the D-2 steel I use. At $2200 the tester isn't cheap but I have peace of mind knowing what I send out is top quality. Also pictured is my knife vise and the quenching plates I use to cool the blades down fast. Not my idea on the plates but the design of the tool is.

www.fototime.com/inv/BA7B72C630F0165

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
nice shops guys. i myself am working on putting a small knife making area in my shop.LC was installing the oven control on the toaster oven complicated? id like to try something similar.
Richard

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Imagine a field.....Imagine a field with a ramshackled old shed.....Imgine that shed with no power, no heat, no benches, no water, 3 walls & 2/3 of a tin roof.....Imagine the frustration of not being able to do any work.....Imagine the look on my face when the wife agreed to demolish the old shed & let me put up a 40'x60' steel building with power, benches, heat & water   :D  

Now imagine having to pay for it   :(  

Now imagine having to wait until the back end of the year before I can start it   :(  

Now imagine Kelly Bundy in a bikini. (I like to end on a positive note!   :D  )
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
anyone ever been to a dairy?  that is where most of my stuff is .  not pretty.  but now the my wife is talking about building a shop so thats good.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Give me a few weeks I'll have mine up...it should be here next week.I don't have much in the way of knife makin stuff but it'll have a pattern torch,wire welder, drill press,chop saw, wood bandsaw,metal bandsaw, air comp ,metal lathe, 2 x 42 inch belt sander and quite a few other smaller tools.
 http://muellerinc.com/building/prefabimg.php?src=243010.jpg

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Now imagine Kelly Bundy in a bikini. (I like to end on a positive note!  )
 I sure like the way you end a post  :clapper:
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline David Ricke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Jeremy, Yours will be a heck of a shop. A shop out of the house is the way to go. No matter how much dust collection you may own it is never enough. Ask my wife. I have been making knives for thirty years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©