INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Knife grinder?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
Knife grinder?
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
I have started my first knife today and would like to know. I stopped at lowes today to price out belt sanders and grindrs. They have a wet/dry sharpening wheel its a 150 grit stone, is this thing worth a darn or should I just invest in the belt sander and/or grinder witha stone and buffing wheel? Thanks Jason
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Knife grinder?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Jason,
         This is my opinion only.  

I would buy a belt grinder of some sort. The closer to 2 X 72, the better. I have made a few blades on a 1 X 30, but it uses more belts, of course, to get a knife made. Some of the Craftsman wide belt sanders work OK too.

I know guys who have a Grizzley Knifemaker's Grinder and do OK.

After using a KMG I'm spoiled.

Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
I use one of these little 1" belt sanders & honestly, it's awful! You'll get by using something like this & for the hobby maker they're a good, cheap way of getting started, but their use is very limited....

If you can stretch the funds, like Lin says, try & get a good quality sander that'll take 2"x72" belts & has a good accurate platen.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Any suggestions? I saw plans on **** to build one that looks similar to the kmg. wonder how much the supplies would cost. motor,pulleys belts?
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Grizzly makes a decent knife grinder for $395 which is way cheaper than others. It uses the 2X72 inch belts. I bought one last year and think it is great for a beginner. Most pro's use grinders costing $1800 to more than $3000.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Lin  and everyone else is giving you some great advice. For top of the line expect to spend $1800 and up. Next down is probably the Grizzly 2"x72" for about $375 and then Craftsman 2"x42" for about $150 and then down to the Delta, Harbor Frieght line of  1"x42" from $69 to $130. And then there is always the old fashioned files for about $15 dollars that do just fine! It's like most things in life how much are you willing to spend.  The biggest advantage with power tools is that you can ruin good steel alot quicker with them.

Wayne Goodard has a great book out the $50 Dollar Knife Book. It has great pics of how to build your own belt sander and various other equip. Great book. I built my first 2"x 72" sander from this book but it wasn't long till I moved on after making several knives with it.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Yes I do have a set of files I plan on using for my first 2 blanks that I cut today. I am just thinking ahead but I guess for now I'll see how I make out on these 2 before I decide to move on to bigger and better tools. I appreciate the info guys. Thanks Jason. I will post a thread soon with pics of my progress.
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Would a 4" x 36" belt with a disk on the side be worth looking into? I have been wanting the one from harbor freight for $69 for many things would something like this work?
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Anything that will grind will work. It just depends how many belts you are willing to burn up, and how many knives you are planning on building. The shorter the belt the faster it will wear out. Hogging off metal is hard work and will eat the belts.

Depending what you want to do and what your budget is, there is a machine for you. Everyone has made some good suggestions. Good luck, and have fun!

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
That 4x36 is far from the ultimate blade grinder, but you'll find it is a most useful tool that you will use a lot, especially when making sure handle slabs are flat and general shaping of the handles.  I have one and I use mine a lot.  Dan

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
With the exception of my first couple knives, every knife I've made has been on a 1x30 belt grinder from Grizzly.  You may go through more belts, but the belts are cheaper  :)   If you anneal your steel you'll go through significantly fewer belts.

I did recently get a 2x42 Craftsman and roughed out a blade or two on it.  It works well, but I don't like the higher belt speed.  If I ever get time to get back into the shop I'll play around with it more.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
Skippy,
         Here is one I saw in the Texas Knifemakers Supply Catalog. I think this grinder is a better use of the money than some of the above mentioned ones. Except for the KMG's and Bader's, of course. But this one would be a welcome addition to any shop. It's less than $500 too.
                              Lin
  Grinder
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline catfishon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
i use a 4x36 belt sander. works great for shaping and geting a bevel started. and belts are readely avalible almost anywhere. but it would be hard to put the finish edge on a blade with it. i would say i use the 4x36 sander to do 75% of the the work when i make a knife ,"blade and handle work".  i would get the 4 x36 and then get something else to do what ever you can't get done with the 4x36.

Offline Leftieshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
WOW, I make mine differently.  I shape with a belt sander, either 6x48(at work) or 4x36(at home).  But my bevels are done free hand with a 90 degree die grinder and file work to blend.  I guess there isn't a wrong way to shape and make a knife.  I mean the first ones weren't even steel!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©