INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Few questions - Cutler's Rivets  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
Few questions - Cutler's Rivets
« on: March 15, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Hey guys
I've been on trad gang for a while, but never saw this forum until now.  I was going through some things the other day and came across a project i started several years ago and never finished. I picked up a blade( Russel- Green River Works 2212) with intentions of finishing it and didn't get very far.  I started to reshape teh blade and  what I have now learned are the scales, but wasn't satisfied and set it aside. Now it's time to start again.  The pictures show what I have. I have both walnut and oak scrapes to redo the scales(not picutured), any benefit to either, other than looks? The pins came with the blade. They are about 5/8" long, male and female.  There is very little clearance between the female and the hole in the blade, should this be reamed out more or will it work. Any recommendations on using this style of pin?   On the other hand, I see that most just use brass rod rather than this style of pin, would that be better?

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Few questions - Cutler's Rivets
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Can you take a 1/8 chainsaw file and drift the hole in the tang over to meet the pin?

By the way, I think those pins are supposed to match the time period of the knife. Other than that, you can use what ever you prefer.

Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
I looked them up online. They are called cutler's rivets. Has anyone used these pins.

I don't have a counter sink the right size and I'm not sure a regular drill bit will make a clean hole. Can I just drive it is far as I can then sand/file them down?

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Matt,
Put knife in vice and tighten the crap out of it. Use a drill and bit that will fit in the hole as close to the hole size. Turn on the drill and ream holes from each side. Then replace the bit with the size or just a tad bigger than the rivet and drill. Don't try and drive the rivets and cut off as rivets are hollow up to the head.
Grant

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
I used them once and bought a step drill to counter sink them :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
I've got a spade bit the right size, but i'm afraid it will open the rest of the hole in the scales too much. If I really soad it up with epoxy will it fill the space enough for a decent bond.  If I epoxy the scales to the blade do i need to be concerned with the rivets adding anything structurally or will they just be for show anyway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©