INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shop tricks or techniques  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shop tricks or techniques
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
For you guys who have a grinder. If your machine starts shocking you with what seems to be static shock, run a small wire from the base or a metal part to the ground (the earth itself). This should stop it if it's static.

If you're sure enough getting shocked, you may need to take an airhose and blow out the windings of the motor. Steel dust can build up and short across and do funny things. Sealed motors would, of course, be less likely to have this problem.

Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
that static can make things interesting if it catches you by surprise    :bigsmyl:

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Lin, that is a great tip, I was about to explore running a ground wire.  An "energizing" experience.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
Just read this off another knife building forum I visit thought it was worth posting here:

"Guys put your clean up magnets in baggies. I use them to clean up around the shop and stick them in a plastic bag, then when I have a load I just turn the bag inside out and pull the magnet away and dump the bag. Trying to get all the little piece of steel off the magnet is a pain otherwise"
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Leftieshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Lay plastic food wrap on what ever you DON'T want epoxy to get on.  I lay a piece on my bench top and on the steel plate I use for my assembly work.  I also put small pieces under  my clamp jaws so they don't end up getting caked with epoxy.  It works great!
I can't take credit for this trick.  I learned it from my bowyer last year when I helped him build my longbow.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
One of the handiest things I've found in a while are the little rare earth magnets. I stick them up in handy places for sticking things up too. Does that make sense?

For instance, I always hated my chuck key dangling from a chain or string on my drill press. A 1/8" X 1/2"dia magnet stuck to the front of my drill press holds my chuck key perfectly and securely, I've got one on each side depending on which hand I'm reaching with...

These magnets can be bought in about any size or configuration off Xbay.

Very cool idea with the baggie and magnet, sometimes it's the simplest things...

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
sometimes it's the simplest things...

Yep used your flattened scribe idea yesterday! Works great. Have read different places about how some mic, divide, do math heck half way through the instructions I thought not for me. Your method works great. Like the chuck key magnet idea also.

I've lately been using ALOT of these tips on here and all of them have been working great.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©