INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: More Fun with knives  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
More Fun with knives
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Everyone should know by now about my fascination with knives...or anything that's pointy and sticks    :knothead:    :banghead:

My passion for throwing knives led to also throwing hawks. In the mid 70's at the State Muzzleloading shoots I was the Michigan State Champion in both knife and hawk for three years running. The last year I had a perfect score with both the knife and hawk. I went on to win the National championship with a knife and 2nd place with a hawk in 1980.

I don't throw in competition anymore but I do still throw for fun.

For those that would like to try this "Fun with knives" game take a look at this.

http://www.shrewbows.com/throwingknives/index.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: More Fun with knives
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Looking good Ron!!  I never could get the hang of throwing Hawks or Knives.  I still have fun trying though!!   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
Ron, that's a nice looking set.   :bigsmyl:
Lon Scott

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Now that's a knife! I will be putting my order in ASAP!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Boy, might have to get me one of them!

Ron can you take one out back and train it for me, been a long time since I threw one.

Eric

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Jeff,

That knife is bigger than your bow!   :scared:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Ron can you take one out back and train it for me, been a long time since I threw one.

Eric

I thought I showed you how to throw knives and hawks years ago.   :readit:  Did you forget how?    :goldtooth:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
will they be at compton? If not I am buying one now!<><

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Dang it shell didn't log me back in!
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
I have one that looks just like that.    My 9 yr old son has probably thrown it a million times and it is still in great shape.    Ron is right, it take a special made knife to hold up to the abuse it gets.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Shrew Throwing Knife: 2 lbs? Wowzers!

I thought KBar's (~1 lb) landed with a very satisfying thunk -- but the knife Ron offers is twice as heavy!

The Gil Hibbins' throwers are light.  Learn how to handle all three sizes and you will have accomplished something.

The Cold Steel throwers, weight wise, fall between the Hibbin's knives and KBars and are fine for throwing.  I've got three and haven't worn 'em out, yet.

Please wear eye protection!  It doesn't happen often, but every now and then a thrown knife will bounce back at you travelling every bit as fast as you threw it.  It's happened to me when throwing at a tree, a blob, and a soft wood stop.  It will be unexpected and you'll probably be in an awkward position.  A poke in the limbs or body can probably be handled -- but not your peepers!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
No Ron, I dont think I can forget that, but it may take a few to find my mark again.

Jimmy, you should see Ron's personal throwing knife! Its about 4 lbs of highspeed, low flying lazer guided steel!

Eric

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Jimmy, you should see Ron's personal throwing knife! Its about 4 lbs of highspeed, low flying lazer guided steel!

I can't remember what it weighs but it's   HEAVY!

It was made for me by Master knife and gun maker Judson Brennan in the mid 70's. He Forged it from a buggy spring. The handle slabs are moose bone from the base of the antlers. The advantage of a heavy knife for throwing is the weight helps it stick in the toughest of wood...or whatever..   :banghead:

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Wow Ron those are fancy!!!  Although I would expect nothing less from the man that made your flinter!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
I remember that knife when it was still a dump truck spring!

Tim, if you could see some of Jud's work it would absolutely blow you away!! He is truly a Master craftman, and one of the most humble, fun people you could ever meet.

Eric

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
Here's a couple that Jud made for me a long time ago. Damascus, Ivory and sliver

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 06:16:00 AM »
I have seen Ron throw a knife, and it is an impressive thing. Lots of folks can throw a knife  and make it stick. But Rons accuracy is amazing.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
That was just a lucky throw roger    :biglaugh:

Check out the updates on the throwing knife page
 http://www.shrewbows.com/throwingknives/index.html

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Oh Ron, those are a couple beautys!! Classic Jud knives. Wish I could have had him build me some back then, they are out of my price range now.

Eric

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
they are out of my price range now.  
Mine too    :readit: ....   :goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©