INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: working mammoth  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
working mammoth
« on: March 28, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
Hello.To you folks who have worked with mammoth, do scales grind well on a belt sander?Are there any special considerations to working on it? I guess I only want to sand the scales to mathch the profile of the tang and also file the pins down after theyre inserted.I was thinking of having it done but I figure it would be more fun to do it myself.I will be mounting the scales on a damascuss blade.I almost forgot,,, what type of drill bit would you use to drill the pin holes?
                   Thanks,Izzy

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: working mammoth
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I assume your talking Mammoth tooth Iz? You can grind it on the belt sander but only to rough it out. I'm afraid trying to fine grind you'll wind up burning it. I do everything below 50gr by hand, stepping to 120gr, 320gr, 600gr... Make very certain you go easy and are working only it's been stabilized or it's apt to crumble on you. Some is better than other but it's better safe than sorry.

Same with drilling holes, go thru very slow at fairly high RPMs.... I use regular HSS (high speed steel) bits. Be careful pushing the pins thru as you can break out the far side easily too.

I always take it one step at a time and stabilize with CA glue often, you can't be too careful with this stuff....
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
You ever try filling in with epoxy insteat of ca glue, or do you want it real thin to run into cracks?

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
I agree with Doug on all counts, especially if your using ivory. Anything to keep it cool and from adding too much direct pressure, as from the drill press. Use sharp bits and new belts. Dont know much about the mammoth teeth. Heard they were brittle and have managed to avoid them.
                            Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Yep Iz, like Lin said keeping ivory cool is even more important than it is on the mammoth tooth. Good ivory is considerable more durable than the tooth, just be sure to use sharp tools and new sandpaper. An occasional wipe down with mineral oil might help with the drying out.

The thinner the better Dan, lots of fine cracks and crevices in the mammoth tooth.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Dumb question. I love the way mammoth tooth looks but after reading about how fragile it is to work, is it prone to chipping or breaking if the knife is dropped? Mike

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Bodork,
        I have not used it, but have been around a lot of guys who have. It seems from what I hear that it very well could break when dropped. I also know that some guys wont use it because of that.
      It certainly has a unique look that is attractive on some knives. If I were to use it, I would put it on a frame style handle so the handle's strength would come from the frame and fully support the tooth.

All this said, I imagine there are lots of using knives with Mammoth tooth that are holding up well for the intended use.
                             Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Well, Ive been sanding the scales to shape with sand paper and Dremmel tool.Im trying to keep it at room temp and not let it overheat.Its taking some time but all worthy projects do.Ill be sure to post when done.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©