INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Advice for knife builders from a collector....  (Read 2893 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice for knife builders from a collector....
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
JC, I think those knives are great looking knives too.  Just thought I'd follow up on the tapered tang.  I don't do a great deal of grinding.  When I forge I taper the blade tip & tang pretty much even.  I also taper my blade from spine to edge.  Therefore when I do grind I don't come out with a very deep grind line at the ricasso area.  

Not that that is any better or worse than stock removal, I just like to play and mold hot steel.  For me that is the fun of making knives.  It's a different style.  I'll never be an ABS Journeymen or make wonderful knives like Karl, Lin, Doug, etc cause they all come out with imperfections of forging...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
JC, I think those knives are great looking knives too.  Just thought I'd follow up on the tapered tang.  I don't do a great deal of grinding.  When I forge I taper the blade tip & tang pretty much even.  I also taper my blade from spine to edge.  Therefore when I do grind I don't come out with a very deep grind line at the ricasso area.  

Not that that is any better or worse than stock removal, I just like to play and mold hot steel.  For me that is the fun of making knives.  It's a different style.  I'll never be an ABS Journeymen or make wonderful knives like Karl, Lin, Doug, etc cause they all come out with imperfections of forging...Doc
Methinks you sell yourself too short Doc. I've seen and used your knives (though sadly only for brief periods  :rolleyes:  ) and your blades are as good as any in my safe. I love the look of your forged blades when you leave them "rough/unfinished" along the spine. The only reason you won't be a Journeyman/Master will simply be because you don't want to be one...your forging skills are simply incredible seeing how "new" you are at it  :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
I read JC's post when it first came out and to be honest, I havent felt much like working on knives since. I was realy enjoying what I was doing, but realised I was not up to snuf and probably never would be.My knife shop consists of an old garden shed, a one inch belt sander, a black and decker drill, some files, a C clamp, and some sand paper.And to be perfectly honest, that might be all my budget will ever allow. I've only made about seven knives and have given them all to friends and famly. I would not consider selling a knife allthow I have traded one for another knife. I haven't posted any pics of my knives since I read this post, and  while I am still working on knives, I now find myself doing it with a since of failure, that takes a lot of the fun out of it. I am not mad about it or aneything. It's just like now I know my place. It took some of the wind out of my sails.
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
el oso,

I'm sure that JC's comments weren't meant to put anyone down or discourage any of us.  I would venture to say the knives he has collected are from some seasoned knife makers.  I took his comments and as I continue on this venture will try to remember.

I make knives because I enjoy it and like you enjoy gifting them to people.  They are functional and the friends I have given them to appreciate them.

Most of us won't be at the same level as Howard Hill, Fred Bear, and the list goes on, when it comes to archery, but we continue to do it because we enjoy it and does what works for us.

Don't give up, JC's comments have given me some ideas on new things to try.  I have about the same set up as you and am really in no rush to get more at this time.

And for what its worth, I've liked the knives you have posted.  Hope you will start again.

Nick
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
El Oso, don't be discouraged.  There is no written rule that says we have to meet a certain person's expectations.
First, I'll say that JC is very opinionated, he has some very high standards and he was merely trying to explain "what floats his boat".  Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to make a knife that resides in his safe.
You'll get a lot of opinions on this website, and none of them are particularly right or wrong.
Carbon vs. stainless, tapered tang vs untapered, exotic wood vs. antler vs. synthetic, polished vs brushed...you get the picture.
What about the guys who knap their blades from stone, let's see them polish them or stick them in a vise and bend them.
You see, there are all kinds of knives, methods, and they all have their place.
Try to enjoy making knives, and let it take you up whatever trail is natural for you.
Dan

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Nick. I agree. I don't think JC ment to discourage aneone. I am sure it was just good advice, and like I sead ,I am not upset with aneyone.It's just the way I feel. ITs my problem and one I will have to work through. As for posting pics ,I always felt a little weard about it aneway. allthow I did enjoy positive coments, evan though most where being polite and suportive. I reread my last post and it sounds a little whiney, I don't know where that came from. I'm not a whiner. I think i'll shut up now.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
El oso,
        I see knives all the time that are not built the exact way I like to build mine. But, I found out that I can make some vast improvements myself. You should see the ones I made at first!
       Please dont stop. That's the whole point of this Trad section. It's important to continue and show your knives. We all learn. Besides, in writing, things can sound a little opinionated, when it's meant in good spirit. I can be guilty of that.
                               Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
I agree with all said above. I read JC's post and thought they was all really good points. I agreed with most of them and appreciated his honest input. Well stated and straight on and I liked it. I've rethought alot of my knife designs afterwards and thats a good thing. However most of my knifes would probably never be on his "I want list" and I'm okay with that. There are some incredible knife makers on here that I continuely strive to get to that level but know I never will cause simply it's just a hobby to me. I'm a hunter making simple homemade hunting knives for hunters. I've made several knives now and never sold a single one. However I have gave them to friends who were over whelmed with them, I've gave some to farmers who granted me sole  hunting rights of 1000 acres prime trophy whitetail hunting property, I've dontated to charities and I've brought them to hunting camps for a rewards on poker night! Yeah you ought to see the serious game faces on those poker games. Besides I just plain like making knives and ain't gona quit just because knife collectors aren't interested in my blades. Lots of other folks are!! But you can bet I'm always gona try to build a better knife and use JC's post and listen to others on here and improve my knifes and you should too. Theres been a ton of good info  on here and some aweomse knives posted on here yours included! So get back to doing what you like to do and post pics!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I agree with all of you . It was a crybaby post and I wish I hadn't written it. To much beer and BBQ today  :D  I should not post when under the influance of  beer and brisket.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
LC,
     What a good post! It helps to put things in perspective.

This is supposed to be fun.
                                     Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Whoa....as usual, sometimes the written word is not the most effective means of communicating. My posts were never meant to discourage anyone, and as I stated in the first one, "strictly my opinion...so take them for the $.02 it's not worth." I was simply trying to give folks some ideas that were looking for new ones. I've had multiple folks ask my opinion on knives/design because they know of the number of knives I've owned or handled. It was never intended as a "right or wrong", just some creative "fertilizer."

Many fine makers on here with some great stuff showcased. My apologies to any and all who took offense...discouraging someone was the last thing on my mind.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
sometimes I think the internet,in all its wonderfulness, can be a two edged sword. fifteen years ago El Oso would never have seen anything like JC's post.

He would have been banging out knives and having a great time, and never thought of his stuff as 'not good enough'. Not good enough is subjective, as JC says, its HIS thoughts. All his points are well-thought out, valid, and make good sense whether you are a maker for others or a maker for fun. They are things we should aspire to.

After seeing Lin Rhea's and KBA's knives on here I have begun tapering all my knives, as well as paying more attention to aesthetics in other areas- I found a local maker who could help me figure it out,and walk me through it.

But not doing those things to your knives doesn't make them any less than what they were before you read JC's post...doesn't make them any less nice a gift for friends or your family or for your personal use...there is NOTHING better than making something yourself and using it...any arrow maker, bowyer, or knife maker will tell you that so its a glass half full, glass half empty thing.

Put as much into it as you want, and get your rewards accordingly. Everyone can't/won't make knives as good as Lin's, or his wouldn't be special would they????? It'ssomething to aspire to...not something you have to do before what you make is valid.

I bet Lin's first fifty knives don't look as good as his last fifty.That's life.That's experience. That's DOING IT.

I watched a video last night of a Japanese guy who is considered a national treasure in Japan. He is a 'sword sharpener'.  He takes two weeks to finish one sword....five days sharpening,five days polishing,all by hand. You don't have to BE that guy to learn things from him.Enjoy the journey.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Not to sound like a broken record, but everybody has their own likes and dislikes, especially when it comes to something as personal as a knife.

I've seen many BEAUTIFUL knives posted on this site. In fact, many of them have inspired me to want to try my hand at building knives. I'll be starting with a Helle blade that I'm giving my 12-year-old son for his birthday. It'll be a father-son project...a chance to expose him to hobbies that I was never exposed to until my adult years. From there I'd like to advance to making my own blades, in a style that suits my taste better than a Helle blade ever can.

Will one of my knives ever end up in JC's safe? I doubt it - simply because it seems from the pictures JC posted that we have much different tastes in knives. But I won't let that stop me from building the style of knives that I like most. And for the same reason, Lin's knives don't really appeal to me, as beautiful as they are. I'd be afraid to use them!

JC did bring up some great suggestions for those looking to take their knife-building to the next level. But don't let those suggestions discourage you. If the knives you build suit your tastes and needs, then that's all that really matters.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Wow, glad that got worked out before I got here... "beer and brisket" sounds like a great combo but I'll remember not to do much typing after  ;)  

Well gotta put in my .02 worth... I think Joe has a great post here and I know his intentions were only good. No matter what kind of knives your building, assembling, forging..., whether it's for the fun of it or your as serious as death... As long as you can say you learn from each one or the next one is going be a little better than the last one... your doing it right.

Not everyone wants to put in the time and effort but if you do and with enough of those lessons/improvements/experiences... Eventually your knives are going to be looking like Lin's and Karl's and may even end up in Joe's safe...

Now come on, have fun and lets be careful out there.  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »
Show some more pics of you knives JC, Looks like we are going to have to have a good ol show en tell when ever I get over your way.

:pray:  

Cobber al.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
I'll send you some pics Al.

Offline Leftieshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
JC, if you don't mind saying.  How many knives do you own?  Not counting kitchen stuff.  I mean your collectable stuff.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Around 25....but some rotate in and out as I buy/sell/trade. I've got probably 10 that I pretty much have decided are keepers. I usually have those 10 scattered about my man room with the rest in my gun safe with the other pretty steel things. Like I said....I'm almost as bad with collecting knives as Tippit is with bows. Just ask him for some pics of his basement   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©