INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: knife difference  (Read 813 times)

Offline Leftieshot

• Trad Bowhunter
knife difference
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I was spokin around someones website and saw two knives I like pretty well.  One was a bowie and the other was a fighter.  Can someone please tell me the difference in the two knives other than blade length.  Is there a difference?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: knife difference
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Bowies generally have a wider blade than a fighter, but without knowing what knives you're talking about we can only talk general stuff.  The bowie might be a little stouter to hold up to camp chores as well, but that all depends on the maker.

Blade length really doesn't come into play at all.  I've seen short bowies and some long ones.  Same with fighters.  The 'newer' styled fighers with their extreme curves in the handle aren't too useful as true fighers (or general use), so it's an interesting development.  They look cool, but I'd take a single-edged baselard, rondel or seax with a basic handle over them in a fight any day.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: knife difference
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeremy:
  They look cool, but I'd take a single-edged baselard, rondel or seax with a basic handle over them in a fight any day.
Cool! After I've shotten yer, I'll be able to git a closer up lookit one o' them!

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

As far as I've been led to believe a 'Fighter' generally has a longer top swedge & it's more likely to have said swedge, sharpend. Other than that, the blade on a fighter is usually narrower, but that's pretty much it.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©