INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How to Use an Old File to Make a Knife?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
How to Use an Old File to Make a Knife?
« on: May 03, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Are there any build along tutorials showing how to make a knife out of an old file?
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to Use an Old File to Make a Knife?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
belt sander and some patience worked for me!!!
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Check the "Where do I start" thread on here. I posted some links that should answer all your questions.

With a file you have to have some way to "anneal' it. Thats making the hard steel soft enough you can drill, sand etc. That means heating it up till it reaches critical temp (a magnet will no longer stick to it) then letting it slowly cool  back to temp. I made a small brick forge like in the $50 dollar knife book but some folks do it in an charcoal fire burying the blade in the coals. You then cut, file, sand everything thats not a knife and then heat it back to critical temp but now immediately dip  it in oil (ATF, olive oil, used motor oil) and it will resort back to as hard as it was before as a file. At this point it's too hard to sharpen and is brittle so you have to temper it. That means putting in an oven (old toaster oven) and heat it to about 350 for a couple hours and slowly let it cool. Check with a file to see if bites into it. If it does fine if not put back in the oven at say 400 for a hour and try again. Once you  get it to a point you can file it you'll be able to sharpen it. Now finish it and put scales (handle materials) on it and if your like most folks start designing your next knife. Good luck and post pics here.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Check out this set of four videos on you tube:

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
wish i would have known about annealing, i went through about a dozen sander belts lol
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Hi,
 LC gives a great run-down on the process. I am a knife-maker and would add just a bit more.
I made my first knife out of a file...I built a fire in the back yard and once I got a good bed of coals, just put the file in it and went to bed. The next morning my file was laying in the ashes and was annealed. Then I cut & shaped the knife to my specs.
Then reheated the file/knife to about 1500*f and held it for 5 min. Then quench in light oil.(move very quickly, or the steel will not harden like it should)
Make sure you cover the knife in the oil completely or you will catch the oil surface on fire. And be sure to move the knife back & forth in the oil while quenching. Not side to side of this can bend the blade.
 Tempering a file steel should be done in three cycles at 350 degrees. Hold it at temp for 1hr then let it cool slowly in still air. Then heat it again. That is one cycle. When testing the cutting edge hardness, try cutting the edge with a used file, you want it to just grab.
 Remember that file steel is very high in carbon and will rust very easy. The finer your finish the slower rust will attack.
But files do make great cutting knives..
Good luck!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Thanks a lot for the advice.  Next bbq the file is going in the grill!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©