INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1st Knife advice?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st Knife advice?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
the 154CPM blank I offered you will match up nice with nickel or stainless. Or a brass guard and buttplate will set it off, as well.

Nickel, believe it or not, creates a reaction in some folks that is fearsome to behold. Turns their hand plumb GREEN, Joey.

You can buy bolsters from Texas Knife Supply or Jantz.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks Ray, turns their hands Green!.... I sure might buy that blank off you...Is it carbon?  thats shows my ignorance right there. If I can't track Tony Bell down for some cable. I'll buy it...

Thanks also Lin, I read all your threads/posts...your an artist. Your work is the bell curve... I hope I never run across you with a pocket full of money and you with a suitcase full of knives...
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Joe, your wood knife looks good!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
ATS-34 and 154-CPM
A very "high-end" stainless steel. 154-CM is the original American version. ATS-34 is a Hitachi product that is very, very similar to
154-CPM, both are premium high quality stainless.

Normally hardened to around 60 Rc, it holds an edge very well and is tough even at that high hardness. Not quite as rust resistant as the 400 series. Many custom makers use ATS-34, and Spyderco (in their high-end knives) and Benchmade are among the production companies that use it.

I sent you an email.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
Thanks Ray.  well the Wooden knife bit the dust. It just couldn't hold up to a sword fight between my 3 year old and my 5 yearold boys last night. My 5 year chose the knife for close work and my 3 year old got the Star Wars sword. Unfortuately the plywood couldn't hold up to a 'wack" from the china plastic. i wish the sword would have broke becasue it has batteries and makes noise!!!...

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
those dang jedi knights will wreck a party every time!!!!!  :biglaugh:  

If you come to Atlanta I'd love to meet your family, Joey.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Last time I was at your home Ray, it was full of fine antiques. We would be a nervous wreck. Plus my wife doesn't need to be around anymore antiques.......3 year old is the worst..he'll just haul off and throw something....I've been in the shop working on a bow, can't get anything done!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
We have two granddaughters, 5 and 7. Everything that CAN be broken HAS been broken! No need to worry, brother.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
Joey, That knife looks a little pointy...you start doing your Turkey Strut and watch out!  Martha didn't see any turkeys up close & personal...Doc (still trying)
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Doc, check your PM

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Joe, after seeing your recurve, I can't wait to see your knife. I know you have the natural ability and artistry to make a nice one even on your first try. Mike

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks Bodark but ya'll are the artists...I am just a wood grinder  :D   I have been reading all the threads I can lately trying to school myself....My biggest problem is deciding which knife blade style to "attempt" first.... Problem is I love every style...I wish I got in this 20 years ago.......I am definitely leaning towards some type of skinner.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©