INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Forged or Stock removal Pros & Cons  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
Forged or Stock removal Pros & Cons
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
What are the pros and cons of each,  and what if any, is the advantage of forging?

Thanks Steve AKA-Tillerboy

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forged or Stock removal Pros & Cons
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
forging blades is the destination of choice.It's the traditional bowhunting of knife makers...er I mean bladesmiths.

speaking for myself, once I understand knife construction well enough, I am building a shop behind my home and building a forge...and after that getting an air hammer and making my own damascus.

the journey is long, but its full of twists and turns and all ofthem are fun. Try stock removal first,and see what you think. You may just like that enough to stick with it....but a fiery beard is something I want really bad!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
my dad does stock removal, so that is what I am learning, I respect people who forge, it does not look easy, but stock removal is not easy either, I dont see any pros or cons(at least from my begginers point of view), just a different way of making knives
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »
Funny thing Steve, I just posted this same exact topic on a knife forum.  Talk about a heated debate.  From what I was able to deduce from all the heated discussions were that there really aren't any.  All things being equal, forging doesn't impart anything different regarding the properties of the steel than grinding (stock removal).  However, I find it very appealing that a knife was forged and that is my own preference.  
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
Ray,
     I can tell you have a similar view as me.

I wont get into the debate of which is better. I dont know. But I have more control over the final product by forging. I can make a thicker blade with lots of curve or a thin, straight blade. Whatever I feel like.

I also like to make my own damascus. Having your forge set up allows you the full range from shaping to heat treat.
                                          Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
Forging to me, is most appealing.
Do those air hammers do ALL of the work?
Swinging a hammer wrecks my knuckles, as I have early stages of arthritis.
Dan

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Dan, I don't even own any bar stock. The W1 I use is 1 1/8" round. I have 2 1/4" round W2 and my 5160 is 1 inch square.
I have a 50 pound Little Giant, but I take my big stuff over to a friend's house who has a 500 and a 250 pound Chambersburg air driven power hammers. There, I knock my big stuff down to about .300" X 1 1/2" wide and bring it back home. With my 50#er and interchangeable spring dies I attach to the hammer, I draw those bars down, lengthen, flatten, thin, etc. I work each blade I made right out of the bar, in all directions, then draw out the tang and cut off.
there is incredibly little waste this way.
When it comes to actually shaping the blade profile and tapers, still, about 80% of the work is done by hand and hammer.
I have special quillotene dies I made for my anvil for forging in choils, forging intergals, etc.
Like Lin said, I can do anything I want with that piece of steel and I'm not restricted by the dimension of the bar stock.
I'm building a 30 ton press after the Blade Show which will eliminate the trips to my buddy's place. (Which he will probably enjoy!)
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 08:10:00 AM »
The benefits I have with forging are all therapeutic.  Being able to make up any shape from hot steel and just the hammering work is very relaxing for me.  I don't think blades are necessarily any better...but I sure get lost in my work.  The grinding part is more focused and less relaxing...just me.  I'd like to get to Karl's situation with a nice power hammer...but I don't think I'll ever give up my hammers.  Guess I'm more blacksmith and less bladesmith...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Well I just got a forge. I swing a 3#-5#-8# hammer allday and I gotta try making a knife like this. I missed out a 125# anvil for free!! But once I get one I'll be hammering.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I've done both & I have to agree with Ray, Lin, Karl & Doc.
Forging to me puts the soul of the smith into the blade. Ya still gotta grind a little to get down to the finished blade but forging seems to be more creative right from the beginning.
Seems to be more personal than grinding away everything from a bar that isn't a knife.
JMHO . . .

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
From a practical aspect, forging just allows me to make a huge variety of blade shapes. I like to make Southwest style blade with upswept tips. I would have to have quite a large hunk of metal to remove enough stock to make what I like to make.
                                     Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Leftieshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Lin, can you please show us that blade shape that you are describing?
Thanks

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
I do not have the space to set up a forge, but when my grandpa dies he is leaving me all his blacksmith and wood working stuff. Not that i want him to die just saying i can get started then, if i have the space.
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
my dad and I looked at forging equipment at the blade show, now we just need the space
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Steve,
        This is an example of what I call a Southwest Bowie. I'm talking BLADE SHAPE. The top of the high points to the bottom of the low points makes forging almost a must for this blade. The spine is about 5/16 thick at the ricasso and tapers to the point, which makes the knife balance toward the guard area. The buttcap and choice of handle material play a big part of it's balance.

Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©