3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shorter Hill Bows  (Read 518 times)

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
Shorter Hill Bows
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
does anybody have any feelings either way on A Howard Hill style longbow at shorter lengths? I am wondering about a 64" bow for a 28" draw. Any input appreciated.  Thanks  Greg

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shorter Hill Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
I've got a 62" bow that pulls 70# at my 29-1/2".  Pinch is a problem if I shoot a lot and it just doesn't seem to hit as well as my longer bows.

Offhand, I would have said, "Yup, longer bows shoot better," but I've got a 60" bow that pulls 60# at my 29-1/2" -- pinch isn't as much of a problem and it seem to hit better than the 62" bow.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Craig @ HH Bows will tell you that 64" @ 28" will work for you fine......
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm thinking along the same lines.  I, too, have a 28-inch draw length.  Just ordered a heavier Hill at 66 inches, but had a very nice lower poundage 64-inch Half-breed that I wish I hadn't sold.  I certainly didn't notice finger pinch with the 64-inch bow.  I'm leaning toward going shorter yet.  Will want to find one I can try out first though.  Certainly wouldn't have any compunction about going with a 64-incher though with a 28-inch draw.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Jimmy Dee, Is the 60" bow a hill? I would think that would pinch at 29@1/2.  Mike I spoke to Jason and he thought there would be sacrifices made. Orion,did you notice any difference in the feel or performance of the bow? I have a 68" 60# but I spend 95% of my hunting in a tree and  there are times I could use a little less length. I'll probably come down a few pounds too to try and get through a year without tendonitis    Thanks

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
well, I have a short draw, 25", so i'm not sure my input has a lot of value, but I shoot as short as 60" without any problem.  64" is probably my "optimum" but I generally choose 66" just for the smoother draw.   Do love my two 60" take downs and 60" Cheetah.   You're talking about 64" at 28" and I don't think that should give you trouble
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
The Hills I've owned (4) have been either 66" or 68".  I draw just under 28" with a Hill, and to be honest I wouldn't really want to go much lower than 66"...not because of finger pinch, but because of stack potential.  Not a huge difference most likely, and it could probably be balanced by dropping weight a few pounds, but in a Hill-style for hunting situations my own thoughts are to stay with what Hill recommended and lean towards the longer lengths for a 28" ish draw.  If I do really need a short bow for a particular tight treestand or groundblind setup I grab my 58" Super Shrew.  But thats usually not the biggest limiting factor.  Still, if you can afford to have multiple bows I think there's alot to be said for customizing bow selection to the particular situations you find yourself in (i.e., have long ones and short ones).

So what IS the biggest limiting factor?  Well, at 57# one of my Hills is a bit too heavy for me to comfortably draw after hours on stand on a crisp cold morning...and that aspect is usually (for me) much more of an issue than is a few inches difference in bow length.  Wish I had about 5-6 pounds fewer pounds.  Better to get a few pounds lighter and know it'll shoot for you in those situations, than a few pounds too heavy and find out the hard way that it won't.

Anyone got a mint 51#@28 Wesley Special they want to trade for a beautiful 57@28" version?     :)

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
ive got a 73lb at 28 inchs its 63 inches long and i love it shoot fast and hard nice hunting bow
walk softly and carry a big stick

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I had a 68-inch, 60# Wesley Special with a carbon back.  Very nice bow. Very smooth and quick.  However, since most of my other bows were mild R/D 64-inch bows, it just felt too long to me.  Also have a 66-inch, 55# Big 5.  One wouldn't think two inches would be that big a difference, but the proportions seem to fit me like a glove.  That's why I just ordered another 66 incher.

I agree that stack could become a problem as one goes to a shorter bow, particularly 64 or 62 inches.  If I do that, I would drop down in weight.  There may be more finger pinch, but at a lower weight, one is less likely to feel it.  I didn't notice finger pinch or stack on the 48#, 64-inch Halfbreed that I so foolishly sold.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
So I gather from what you fellas are saying a 27" draw and 64" Hill bow would work great ? I intend on building a hill style bow over the summer and I am trying to become a one bow for everything guy.64" works great in my Turkey blind but 62" would be better. Stacking is not a problem because I do not shoot many pounds.I do find on my mild r/d bows I build my accurracy suffers if I go 60" or shorter.RC

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
My Hill is 66", but I'm not sure you'd nottice much difference in a 64". Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
64-inch bow for a 27-inch draw should work fine IMO.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Greg, I have a 64" and a 69" I pull 28", they are both hill styles I have a hard time keeping the bow hand on the 64" solid even though it lighter on poundage, the 64" was a gift to me, my bowyer told me Howard would have had a fit to see me shooting a 64" bow, From my experience the longer bow is alot more stable, I,m talking straightlimb longbows, Just what my shooting has taught me and my bowyer told me, good shooting FERGI

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I have 2 64'' take-down Hills that I like because when I travel they fit in my case. I have 28'' draw and they shoot fine........stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Titan_Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
I've got a 62" Hill style bow and it stacks pretty bad.  I love the bow, just wish it were a few inches longer

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by GregD:
Jimmy Dee, Is the 60" bow a hill? I would think that would pinch at 29@1/2.
I should have been clear about that point.

The 62" bow is a Hill Wesley Special, the 60" bow is  not a Hill -- it's a Fritz Johnk.  I do get a little finger pinch with the Johnk but, because it's lighter, it doesn't make calouses on my fingernail as quickly.  I'm surprised that I shoot it better: it's shorter than the Hill (more pinch) and is lighter than the Hill (less forgiving of a poor release).

Offline c ott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
I have a 62" Wesley Special that I have put a whole bunch of arrows through. These are my thoughts on length...1) Very tolerable at my 28" draw if practicing say for a week to get ready for a treestand hunt where the stands are a little more confined than my climber and I need a shorter bow. 2) I don't enjoy shooting it for extended periods of time.3) If my draw was a hair over 28" I probably would enjoy it alot less.4)I LOVE my 66" Halfbreed and consider it the minimum length for me at my draw length as far as a "go to" everday bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©