3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what kind of bow would you buy?  (Read 835 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what kind of bow would you buy?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Steve my point about the lighter bow was in response to the original post about his bow weight wearing him out quickly.I have no problem with shooting heavy bows because some people do quite well with it.I shot heavy bows for 20 years because I could. :)Of course today my arm is in a sling and I only hope to be able to shoot lighter bows again.I don't know if all those years of heavy had anything to do with it but do know I won't be shooting the heavy ones any more.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »
I have shot many many custom bows.  You name it.  Assenheimers, Chastains, Robertsons, Morrisons, RER, Roy Hall Navajo, Timberhawk, and a bunch more I caan't recall.  At my 29"+ draw, a Black Widow has been the smoothest drawing bow I've felt to date.  I shoot 60 inchers at my draw.
Otto

Offline iboshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
Give Herb Meland a call at pronghorn bows. I know he has a couple of Guys that are pulling past 30 inches and shooting the three piece longbow at 62" and one of the best guys to deal with. I love my three piece 54lbs at 29".   www.pronghornbows.com

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
You might try talking to Brent at Black Mountain Bows (sponsor listed above) about a Sheepeater recurve.  It is a great bow for a blind, and I think he has had good success with folks w/ you drawlength...

I know you'd enjoy talking to him.  Great guy.

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Dave Rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
With my 29.5" draw and longbow preference I like shooting 66" bows. But, I have found some shorter longbows that handle a longer draw with minimal stacking, most with a more extreme d/r profile. Mike Treadway's and Ron Laclair's bows come to mind and I'm sure there are many others.

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
John McCullough.
Griffin bows.
I believe John is a tall guy

Offline Marshrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Try going to a Bowyer in your area and try what he's got. Then see if he can build what you like.  I've shot a lot of Bows over the years
( Recurve, Longbows, Selfbows ) I found a lot of nice one But shot a Bamboo Backed Osage Selfbow and Loved it. Found someone to build one to the same specks with a few mods. I wanted and now i've got a pile of Bows collecting dust. Best money spent having a Bow built to me.
At the rate this world is going Enjoy today for it is the good old days your Kids and Grandkids will hear about

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
You might want to try an RER Arroyo.  I have a 30" draw length and my 58" Arroyo doesn't stack and is a pleasure to shoot.

Offline arkiewoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
i went to archers advantage today and roy hall was there. he had a 66" aztec longow 40# @ 28 and man what a smooth bow. he also let me shoot a 64" apache 46 @ 28. still smoth as silk. i think im sold on roy hall longbows and after shooting a couple recurves i think i like the feel of a long bow better. i shot a bob lee recurve and didnt like the hand shock but man did it sling an arrow. super fast.
be the kind of man your dog thinks you are. arkiewoodsman

Black Widow Longbow
45# @ 28

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
i am 6ft 2 and draw 30 inches or a tad more.Have owned alot a bows.One that really fits me well and shoots super smooth and stable is a Ancient Spirits Thunderhawk recurve.I got a 64 inch 1 piece and a 60 inch 3 pc.This 60 incher really does perform very well for me at a long draw.I would consider a 3 pc with the 60 inch limbs and the 64 inch limbs to go with em on the short riser that measures about 14 inches.you can also get it in a 62 ich length.This bow really works great for a long draw believe me!

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
If you are a recurve man think about a  62 in. Hummingbird Kingfisher takedown recurve .The bowyer told me his 62in model did not stack at all out to 30 in. I know my 60in is very smooth out to 28 to 29 .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
Arkie-
I am also 6'5", and I draw just under 31" (on recurves).  I have had many bows, but so far the best of the best for me has been the Rose Oak King Panther i sold last year, 64" long, and 59#@28".  The smoothest bow I have ever shot, it feels like i was shooting 10# lighter than I really was, and was the fastest bow I have shot to date.  Take a look at Brandons website, he makes a fantastic looking bow, and you dont have to break the bank to get one.

brack

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©