INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Couple new projects (preview)  (Read 1091 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple new projects (preview)
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
I have been busy lately... or maybe I have just had more time since I haven't been working.  Either way, here are a couple projects I am finishing up.
All three together:

Here is the Enzo Trapper.  Great knife!  I bought the kit, I was looking for a good all around knife that could take apart an elk or cut up some salami and cheese for lunch, make some kindling and spark a fire.  I think I found what I was looking for.  Scandi grind, comfortable in the hand, full tang, and I wanted birch for the handle.  I didn't take too many pictures of this as it was a kit with the scales already real close to perfect fit.  I did make the sheath and put together the fire steel (mule deer antler)
Red liners:

A little neck knife, sans sheath for the moment.  Black and white ebony.  Great stuff to work with by the way... This was a naked blade that I bought and put the slabs on.  I sharpened it into a nice sharp convex edge.

And this is my very first of it's kind.  Completely built this British bushcraft style from bar stock O1 steel.  Turned out real nice I think.  Couple small changes I might make next go- around, but sharp and well balanced.  Bubinga scales with homemade mosaic pins.  Scandi grind.  Homemade sheath that isn't one of my finer works, but it'll do.  A cocobolo tipped firesteel (still have to shape the 'steel a bit more though).  

Any comments, criticisms, etc welcome!
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple new projects (preview)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Bravo!!!! They all look great! Really nice work!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Nicely executed work, on all 3!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
Rob,
Here's a question for you, since you've made a bushie or two and live "over there."  Why do the pins look so cockeyed?  I don't notice it in the hand, but the pictures look like it has a lazy eye!
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Very nice. - love the drop point blades.  

Bob Urban

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
i really like all 3
fine work you got there

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Mike,
I like them all.  Very nice so far.  Since you are to busy send me the small one and I will make sure it get s finished and well taken care of.  
Oh, I will post pics when it is done..........
Brock

Offline el oso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Nice work on all three.
short fat bald and broke is no way to go through life

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Very Nice!!!  :clapper:

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Very nice knives!  :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Mike (and anyone else wondering),
when working with the mosaic pins it's very easy to overheat them on the grinder and soften the epoxy holding them together.  Then you'll get the wire edge and shavings made by the grinder getting pushed into the epoxy.  You either have to be careful on the grinder, or do the final work by hand.

Nice job on the knives!   :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Jeremy is right there.... or you might melt the epoxy enough to have some of the pieces come loose.  But the "extra" there is because it has an aluminum tube and since it is a user and mine, I decided to just leave them be.  
Thanks for the tip Jeremy!
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
I keep a big bucket of water right under my grinder, and after every pass on the belt while shaping the handle, it goes in that water to keep those pins cool.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©