INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: questions from a first timer...  (Read 1058 times)

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
questions from a first timer...
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
hello all!  so, i've been reading the knife build-alongs, and was wondering. . . where do you get the pins for the handles?  are they something you make, or just buy at true-value?  also, i really like the look of the drop point knives, but where do i get a pattern for them?  is it something you just make up from experience, or is there some dimensions or a pattern somewhere in here?  thanks in advance for any replies!
Joe
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: questions from a first timer...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
home depot and hobby lobby carry brass and copper rods. on the bkades, i just draw until i come up with something i really like, or you can go on the internet find one you like and print it out

good luck
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
thanks.  i just didn't know if there was a certain kind of pin to use.  i've seen a couple of knives with a mosaic sort of pin.  where do you get those?  

by the way, thanks for the quick reply.

joe
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
You can make the mosaic pins yourself(should be a thread on it) or you can buy the from Jantz, Sheffield, AKS...sure there are others. I think you can even get them on fleabay. They are kind of pricey though.
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
i use texasknife.com i havent used mosaic pins yet. i just dot see paying that much money for pins when i can get three feet of brass rod for 2 dollars.
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Hey Cabbie,
As far as a template for your first knife, I'd cruise the net till you find something you really like and trace it out, enlarge or shrink to fit you.  

As far as pins go, anything works really.  Some even use the bamboo skewers you use for shish-ka-bobs.  So yeah, any old brass, aluminum or steel rod will work.  For the fancy mosaic pins, they are real easy to make.  Much cheaper than buying them.  But like a knife, what might be easy to make, might be hard to make REAL nice...

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
I use a hand held vacuum pump to help suck the epoxy into the mosaic pins, works real well.  Search for mity-vac .
Yes, they are more costly than brass pins, but some people like to drive motorcycles and others like to drive trucks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©