INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hidden Tang  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
Hidden Tang
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
I normally do not make hidden tang knives, perfer full tangs.  This one did not turn out all that bad.  I edge quenched the blade and etched it with lemon juice to bring out the harmon line.  Local Chilean hardwood, brass and leather.  3-1/2" drop point blade.

James

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hidden Tang
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
That's a nice one!  I like the filework  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Jeremy thanks.  I have seen your knives and you get a awesome harmon line.  Can you get a sharp line just by edges quenching or do you need to clay the back?  I also thick mine came out alittle smeared as I did some buffing before I etched the blade.

James

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
if you can get a hold of ferric chloride, you will get a nice etch. Mix it 3 or 4 to 1 with distilled water.

Offline Kevin Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
That is very very nice!!!!
I like every thing about that knife>
  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Looks real good.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline skullworks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »
Super super job!!!!
'cuz deer huntin' ain't catch & release!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »

There's one by Terry Primos that's edge quenched.  You can definitly get a sharp hamon, it just takes a steady hand when quenching.

The secret to a good etch is a very clean blade.  I never buff a blade - it's nearly impossible to get all the compound and wax off the blade.  I hand rub mine to 600 grit with some oil, clean the blade with acetone, then rubbing alcohol, then etch in 1:4 ferric chloride:water for about 20 seconds.  The hard edge will be black, the spine will be grey at this point.  After that I just polish with some flitz using my fingers.  The hard steel polishes much quicker than the soft steel, so you'll soon have a satin polish edge and a grey spine.
If you can't get the acid white vinegar works too, it just takes longer and the contrast isn't as great.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks Jermey!!!  I was thinking the buffing was the problem.  I will try again on the next blade.  Also need to see if I can find some ferric acid here, but the lemon juice heated in the microwave with a few dropps of dish soap turn the blade black in no time, actual the reaction was faster then when I have tried vinegar.

Offline Mark N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
Very Nice!! What kind of steel is the blade made from?  I recall a story in one of the knife mags, some yrs ago, whrein the spotlighted maker used 1050, or 1060 steel. I believe he used kiln repair cement for a "clay".  Very nice hamons.

Offline Mark N

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
It looks like the center area of the handle, near the middle pin, is a bit thicker than fore and aft-to fit the hand better, I assume?

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Mark this blade like all my knives so far have been made from old files.  You are correct this handle has a slight coke bottle shape.  It is very comfortable in hand, but I am not crazy about the look.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©