3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reparrow??  (Read 741 times)

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Reparrow??
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
With all the talk about high-FoC, I was wondering if anybody has tried the "Reparrow"system?

It is reverse-tapered insert made from walnut, cherry or purple heart that you epoxy directly over a standard taper, then taper the reparrow footing like you would a regular arrow.

I'm thinking if you cut your cedars about 4" shorter and glued the reparrows on the taper, it would bump the weight way up( if you used the heavy P-Heart.)

Anybody ever try 'em?? if so, do they work well??
They look like they would really beef the point end up alot.
BD

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Reparrow??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
I've tried them.  They work good for what they are intended to do, i.e., extend the length/life of an arrow.  

However, they don't add much weight to the front of the arrow.  I think mine are maple or birch.  The 4-inch segments weigh an average of 55 grains before tapering -- say about 16 grains per inch.  My 11/32 cedars average 14 grains per inch. So replacing 4 inches of cedar with 4 inches of maple or birch only adds 8 grains or so.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
I've got some I'm working with.  So far I really like them.  I would agree with Orion's assessment as well.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Is the PH heavier than either the birch or maple??? being an oily exotic, you would think it would be??  :)

It is too bad they don't really weight-up the tip...

But I would think they do make a tougher, more FoC arrow than a standard tip. ie. Stumpshooting?

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
I've used 'em to repair broke-tip shafts and they work fine insofar as maintaining accuracy. I suspect we'll be hearing from the Reparrow system folk. Seems to me that with all the attention Ashby's research is focusing on the importance of high FoC to penetration, and the difficulty in obtaining it in wood shafts short of expensive footed shafts, Reparrow would take advantage of the market opportunity and offer the heaviest thing they can come up with. Heavy wood and slightly longer could indeed make a difference. And unlike really heavy broadheads, it should weaken the overall shaft stiffness that much. We now have at least two leading 2-blade broadhead makers working hard to produce an Ashby-style head, and there's clearly a need for an affordable high FoC "adaptor" for wood shafts.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Well said Dave.
Since reading the article in TBM; I have been trying to find a way to come up with a viable method for a high FoC woodie.

I just like wood arrows.   :)

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Jim in Maine (Reparrow) is a member here. I'm sure he'll come along and answer your questions. I used to throw all my broken arrows away when I was in the UK, but now I'm in the US, I'll probably be ordering some Reparrows at some time. Personally, if I was looking for a high FOC natural arrow, I'd go for rivercane with its natural taper.
Graham

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Sounds like some heavy Reparrow stuff???

Cocbolo? Osage?
Maybe ebony? or how about dymondwood?

that is some stout-stuff.
 :)

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Just to add a little extra to this; Cary, have you ever tried to go with smaller fletching to bring up your FOC? Bare with me on this for a second. Everyone adds to the point to increase FOC but I haven't heard mention of how much is added to the back end with the big Feathers. Take any finished arrow and measure FOC, now take the fletching off and smaller feathers. Your FOC will increase. The only question is at what cost? We use large flething for a reason. I guess what I am trying to say is; why not work both ends instead of just one. Add a little to the point end and take a little away from the back end.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Nick,

I shoot tapered shafts to begin with, and I am moving from 5.5 Hi-back shields, to 5" parabolics again.

This, with more FoC from a heavier foreshaft should be a good combo.

CD  :)

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Good idea, even longer and denser wood would help the FOC part.  Of course, really heavy and dense wood like Ipe or whatever is going to need a woodchuck or something to taper it, hand held tools ain't gonna do it!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
Well Jim??????  :saywhat:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
well i wanted to try some but the guy did not want to send them to new zealand. go figure. hello!!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Even a really dense wood at the same 4-inch length isn't going to add much-- maybe 20-25 grains at the most.  Suppose that's better than nothing.

Regarding smaller fletching to lower the back end.  Again the difference is minimal.  My 5-inch shields weigh about 5 grains each.  That's 15 grains, not counting the glue, for three feathers.  At the most, you can only cut it by 5 grains or so and it would take pretty small feathers to do it.

A fella on the other thread (High FOC woodies)has the answer, a tapered steel outsert that fits on the shaft like a regular point, and it itself is tapered to accept a broaadhead.  Could be made in various weights from 50-150 grains pretty easily.  All he needs to do is convince someone to produce it.  I'll buy them.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
I used the aluminum style of those years ago...broke all kinds of arrows right behind where it glues on.
Not a viable option IMO>  :)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
The Reparrow footing works great for it's intended use-repair an arrow that has broken in the first couple of inches. I have used them a fair bit and will continue to do that.
As for high FOC I'm getting Ted at Raptor Archery (who is a sponsor here) to foot me a couple of dozen arrows with a hunting taper, that and a 190 Grizzly will get me to where I want to be-650-700 is as heavy as I want to get with my 50# ACS.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
I like them for arrow repair, I have used them on a 5/16 shaft so I could put on a 11/32 ferreled broadhead. I like the walnut they are tuffer than the cherry.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
Drill a 3/16ths hole length ways in the Reparrow and fill it with solder that ought to get the weight up!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
My shooting partner has been experimenting with that on a standard shaft.  Drills a 3/16 hole about three inches into the point end of the shaft and epoxies in a nail shaft.  Adds about 100 grains.  Should strengthen the shaft as well because the nail will be imbedded in the shaft two inches behind the head.  He says they definitely fly well.  Hasn't put them to a real toughness test yet.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
I've used the repair footings for a couple of years now, including doing some "destruction" testing on some made of locust. I wouldn't be without a dozen in my workshop.

Kevin
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©