3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow tuning and spine question  (Read 358 times)

Offline mp

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow tuning and spine question
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
thought i'd throught this question out there before i started hacking up my arrows...

I have a 27" draw length and am shooting a  60# @ 28" recurve with 30" goldtip 3555 with a 50gr brass insert and 125gr head (these are tuned and fly great).  my question is, if i want to add another 50gr up front (by swapping the 50gr insert for a 100gr brass insert), how much would i have to cut off the length of my arrow, or can i even get there without having to go up to the 5575's?
i've been experimenting witht 5575s but they seem to still be over spined even with 300 grains up front.  

thanks!
mike
"let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith"
— Hebrews 12:1-2

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow tuning and spine question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Best thing I can tell you is to bareshaft them.You might be able to raise your brace a little and not have to cut them.Carbons don't change spine fast by adding weight.If you need to cut them only go 1/4 inch at a time.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
Like said just cut alittle at a time.The dynamic spine of the carbon arrow increases rapidly the shorter you go alot faster then adding front end weight.I would try a 175 gr. point and shoot it to see how they react before I would start cutting them down.That would be the same as 100 gr. insert and 125 gr. point.I've had carbon arrows I've switch point weight as much as 25-30 grs. and still bareshaft very close.

Offline mp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
good info.  thanks!  i would have probably lopped off too much without knowing.
"let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith"
— Hebrews 12:1-2

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
This is interesting. I have some GT5575s and if I put that much weight forward they would be shooting way weak. I put 50gr weights in the back of the inserts and 160gr. tips on them at 29". Out of my 55#@28" recurve they shot weight. The point was hitting 3-4" right of X and tail was left/nock right.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©