3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need some tuning advice  (Read 863 times)

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
need some tuning advice
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Hello all.I am trying to set up my new bow and am having some odd experiences. The bow is a Toelke recurve (amazing bow!) 52", 42@28 and I draw qbout 26". I am using some 40-45 pine shafts, cut to about 27 5/16  and some 28" 1916.
I am just playing around in the basement  shooting bareshafts about 10-12 yards. Both of the bareshafts shoot perfectly straight. When I try the fletched arrows, they kick high and tail left at the target. I think it is the fletching, as I have had my knuckle scraped twice as well.
 A few questions:
1) Can I assume that this is a fletching issue due to the scratches and the fact that the bare-shafts repeatedly shoot straight?
2) If it is fletching contact, how is the best way to minimize this issue when shooting off the shelf?
3) I have some rug rests which I thought about trying out, would this help the problem?
 thanks for any opinions or advice.
 Tom.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need some tuning advice
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
1, I would
2, rotate your nocks and you'll want to raise your np slightly possibly, I'm not a fan of cock feather in, you're only hiding mistakes somewhere along the line imho.  Your  milage may vary there.
3, probably not, but who knows it just might  ;)

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Made a mistake on point#3. They are actually brush rests (the 'Para-Rest' from 3Rivers) which would theoretically minimize contact.
BTW. thanks AkDan.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Try raising the knock point, a thicker rest would in effect lower the knock point.

Adding the fletching would stiffen the arrow and I have seen the high kick with stiff arrows, can not explain tail left in a stiff arrow, could also try increasing point weight 50 grains.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©