3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Extreme FOC - wieght needed?  (Read 365 times)

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Extreme FOC - wieght needed?
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Does anybody have any ideas how much weight it needed up front to achieve over 20% FOC?  I want to try it with my next batch of arrows, and I wondered what all I will need.  All I have is the standard 125 points right now.

I'm thinking the 100 grain inserts for sure.  I would like to use a maximum of 150 grains on the points themselves.  Will I also need the steel adaptors?  All 3 of those components would put me over 300 grains up front.

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Extreme FOC - wieght needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
What kind of arrow? How long and how much FOC do you have now?

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
I don't know what you're shooting, but I just set up some GT 35/55's for a hog hunt.  They are 29" long with standard inserts and 250 grain points, and if my calculations are correct I have 21.55% FOC.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to post my arrow info.  I will probably be shooting a .500 spine shaft at about 28".  I am shooting aluminum now, but will be switching to carbon on this batch.  Don't really have any FOC numbers on my current setup.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
GT 7595 with 100 grain inserts, 250 grain steel screw-in points gives me about 625-650 grains with 25% FOC.

GT 5575 with aluminum inserts, 250 grain steel screw-in points gives me about 525 grains with ~20% FOC.

Jason

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
From those examples it would seem that somewhere around 250-275 up front yields @ 20% FOC.  From there every 100 grains adds 5%?  Does that sound about right?

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
It all depends on the length and weight of your shaft.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »
what is your drawlength? been asked a couple of times already as it is important,,, everything hanging off the buisness end off the shelf will be "tip weight" and is used to factor in FOC. Goltip's FOC Calculator works pretty good.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
26.75" draw.  I'm not looking for specific answers just a general "rule of thumb" if you will.  I think you all have got me on the right track.  

After reading some other strings on the subject I think I will start out with the normal insert, the steel adaptors, 125 points, and then tune with shaft length and the gold tip weights I already have.  Thanks for all the replies.  :)

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
I just thought I would bring this back up.  I just thought to use the FOC calculator on the Gold Tip site.  I think that was just what I needed.  Haven't built an arrow with it yet, but it looks like a great resource.  Juat thought I would let anybody know that's interested.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
Be sure to work down in length about 1/2" at a time.  The carbons tend to be finicky to get good flight.  My experience is that they are stiffer than advertised.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©