INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: An old style knife (sheath added)  (Read 862 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
An old style knife (sheath added)
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
As some may have guessed by now I like old style knives as were used in the 1700 and 1800's. Stag handles really turn my crank. Having said that I like other more modern knives as well but the old style blades just seem to call to me.

Last August at the GLLI, I found a nice piece of crown stag on a table. I visualized it on a knife, then I visualized it on my belt...that visualization is close to becoming a reality. I sent the piece of stag to Matt at ML knives. I have several of Matts knives and I like his style of blacksmithing. His blades are rugged and strong with just the right temper to take and hold a razor sharp edge.   After a few emails and a phone call or two to let Matt know what I wanted, I sit back to wait.

Yesterday he sent these pictures of the finished product. It has an 8 1/2" blade with a width of 1 1/2". This style of knife is a Longhunters style and would have been the kind of knife carried by hunters and woodsman in the 1700's.

Matt's going to make an appropriate sheath using rawhide and brain tan deer skin over the rawhide. As soon as the sheath is done the knife will be on it's way to me.

I've already decided that it will go with me to Shrew Haven on a bear hunt the end of this month.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: An old style knife (sheath added)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Man Ron the more you post of Matt's knives the more I like them.  Good eye on that peice of antler.  It makes a great looking handle.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Man you always get the coolest knives!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
Man you always get the coolest knives!

Haven't you heard    :confused:  the one with the coolest knives..   :readit: .....  WINS!!!!!!!!

:biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
son of a $%#^%!!! no wonder Matt is busy as a one armed sheet rocker, he's building Ron knives all week long!!!! nice knife man, i will be stopping by to visit Matt this weekend or next. i have an awesome small bowie from him that i have to post pic's of.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Super blade Mr.LaClair. Matt is one of the knifemakers I try and follow in my knifemaking. I know I have along way to go... but matt makes a super knife.Congrats on a yet another awesome knife.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
The sheath is now done and it adds to the old time look of the knife.

It is double lined with rawhide...as well as having a rawhide welt ...the outer leather is smoked and walnut aged deerskin..as well as the upper part...the flap is rawhide aged as well a hair longer so it wll fit a bit deeper in the belt....everything is handstitiched with waxed linen cord.

Offline Nosight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
The vision becomes a reality..

Great looking blade with the perfect handle and the sheath is awsome.

Now post the pics after the hunt.  

Later.......Buzz
Remember...aim small miss small...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©