3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Zwickeys  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Mic'

• Trad Bowhunter
New Zwickeys
« on: February 03, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Currently deciding what broadheads to go with the new bow...
              * What does everyone think if ZWICKEY came out with new 2 and or 4 blade broadheads in the 150 to 175 or even 200 grain range ?    Looks like I will go with Magnus or maybe Tusker... leanin' towards Magnus 160 2 blade
            I think if ZWICKEY built em... they'd sell...   just my two cents.
Shoot well ...be well !

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Zwickeys
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
No disrespect to Zwickey, but I think Magnus builds a MUCH better head. I use the Magnus I 135 grain almost exclusively now.I shoot carbons mostly, so I glue in a steel insert and have a head wieghing 235 grains. BIG WIDE 2 blade heads are my favorite. Ray Lyon called them "those meat cleavers you shoot"   ;)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Roger, I kinda disagree, I think a magnus is a excellent head but personally, and its a personal thing, I perfer A zwickey delta over a magnus 1, there is what a 1/8 width diffrence? I feel a Zwickey has a better steel hardness, they are still easy to sharpen but hold a edge better than the magnus I have used. A Zwickey 4 blade you can use a full taper cedar or adapter where a Magnus you have to go with a short adapter or taper, weakening the head and not acheiving  trueness in mounting as easy. I have curled many a magnus tip and even had a hole head curl using a short adapter.But I have also curled the tip on a few zwickeys, just seems easier to curl a magnus tip. I know Magnus recently went with a chisled point which should help this. But If I shoot a delta on aluminum I use a long solid adapter and get a 175 grain head. And yes, I would like to see something in the area of a 160 or so Zwickey, I would switch to this head.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I'm a zwickey man, have been since day one.  Eskimos all the way!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
What Dave Lay said.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Zwickey has worked well for me on 3 booners. Just keep 'em sharp and they do the job. Mine are on cedars. I also have some arrows set up like Rogers that I take with on hunts in case something happens to my woods. Haven't had to use them on a deer though yet. Sure they would do fine too. Both are good.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm with you Roger. Every man is gonna have his own reasons that his favorites are his favorites and you'll likely win more friends tellin them their wife is ugly than puttin down there broadheads.

I could tell you exactly why a Magnus is better than a Zwickey in terms that are fact and not personal opinion... but I won't.

I used the Zwickey Deltas as a fourblade and a two blade for years with great results. I can say the same for the big Magnus I's I shoot now.
Both great heads!

I just like my broadheads broad... and really, really sharp!   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
I've shot both Zwickeys and Magnus. I like them both but the Zwickey is a better broadhead by far. They seem to hold up much better due to the harder steel used. After what I've put Zwickey through I can't imagin what it would take to destroy one!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with either head.  I shoot zwickeys and can't think of a time when they didn't perform perfectly.  They are tough and hold an edge very well.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
The tuskers are impressive if you want to take the time to sharpen them up.  once they get sharp im telling you they are very impressive.  Some of the sharpest heads ive ever seen done up.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Hmmm...what is the Rockwell of a Zwickey? Magnus?

Want horror stories about Zwickies... I've gottem'. Same for Magnus.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »

For instance... here's a Zwickey Delta with a split ferrule. (Doesn't show in the photo) They were famous for splitting ferrules for a very long time.

Of course it still killed the antelope that belonged to this vertbra.

Like I said, "be careful what you say about my old lady!"  ;)    :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
I've used both brands for years and not found a big difference. But then I used A STOS head and never looked back. But there aint much bad to say about any of them.

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Since the Z's started getting brazened like the Magnus(in the same plant)...furrel splitting is a thing of the past.

There's really not a nickles worth of differnce in the two IMO, I'd feel confident using either....I've just used the Z's for a very long time, and only chipped two points off stock heads(bought an 8th of an inch)...and never split a furrel.  I've killed 14 deer and one hog with the same Z.

Charlie's used Magnus for a very long time and had great sucess with them.  Its what he has confidence in.

Splitting hairs really....cause both are at the top of the heap...and you can find many that aren't near as good.

Next time I'm in camp with Charlie, he'll be packin Magnus, and I'll no doubt be packin Z's...cause both of us are gonna dance with the one than brung us.    ;)
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I shot zwickey deltas exclusively for 9 years, and they never let me down once.  I like both brands, and they are relatively inexpensive. You could get a 6-pack of both and see for yourself.  I know (from calculations) my blood trails got shorter when I started shooting deltas.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Well said Terry.  I've shot Zwickeys for more than 30 years.  Also Magnus and STOS more recently.  They're all good heads.  I just find myself always coming back to the Zwickeys.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
zwickeys!! I use black diamond deltas. I did the other day just barely split a ferrel; I shot at the dirt; and hit a rock frozen in tight; and the cedar arrow shaft shoved forward just a tiny bit- it also split the shaft 1/8 of an inch apart for about 2 inches and the entire split is about 7 inches. I have never had a shaft split like that before. The broadhead will be taken off and put on another arrow.
 I bought that particular head on ebay- so I don't know when it was made; its a green one; but I do have some 'blue' ones.
 How can you tell if your zwickey is the newer model?????
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
If it is sharp and you put it in the right place will equal bad news for the critter. Past that broadheads are all personal preference.

I am going with silvertip though, I got my hands on a STOS and really liked em. I will shoot STOS this year.

Later

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
Takin  about Broadheads is like politics and relgion , its like mixing oil and water, find what works for you and shoot the heck out of them ...after all Baskin Robbins doesnt have just vanilla and choclate...   :goldtooth:   its like when Ala. signed Little nicky as there head coach , I good friend of mind said thats was like his wife run off...mmmmm mmmmm with another man , and took his favorite bow!!!   :goldtooth:     :goldtooth:well anyway enjoy the journey with a good broadhead...LOL
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 05:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Hmmm...what is the Rockwell of a Zwickey? Magnus?
Charlie,

I've seen that picture used as a pro Magnus picture and a pro Zwickey as well. I'm not sure it matters though. As states it got the job done. Like others I've slamed Zwickeys into rocks, trees, dirt, tin cans, etc. and never had a Zwickey require anything more than a sharpening.

Anyhow...

Having been a knife guy for years my judgement on Zwickeys being temper at a harder level comes from sharpening them. No matter what meathod I use, file, Accusharp, stones, etc. the zwickeys just take longer. It's very easy to tell with the Accusharp and file. They both want to glide over the surface removing very little metal. With the Magnus the metal frees itself almost to easily.

My point in posting this is not really to debate which is best (I'm sure 90% of the time it isn't going to mater) but to fine an answer to your question above. After spinding some time searching I find several references to Magnus and Rockwell 44 on the C scale. For Zwickeys I find 50-51 on the same scale. The problem is none of the information comes from the manufactures so I can't be sure it is trusted information. Does anyone know how hard these balsed are tempered for sure? I would also like to know what steel is use too. That can be just as important or even more so on the ability of a blade to retain an edge and preventing the tip from curling uppon impanting heavy bone.

Thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©