3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Zwickeys  (Read 3897 times)

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Zwickeys
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
Terry, I f ya throw Curt and I in that camp with you and Charlie, you can bet we'll be packing snuffers!  :D  Just to be different...
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
I like them both, but prefer grizzly's to either.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
That's good Chad.....lets do it!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
The hardness on the Zwickeys I have used (I have used them quite a bit) was never consistent. Maybe they have changed something, I don't know.

The Magnus heads I have used are always EXACTLY the same.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
I used a Zwickey Delta to cut my daughter's umbilical cord 11 years ago. Went right thru, no tip curl or anything. I guess you can say I like Zwickey's.

It's funny how events make us change what works. A guy kills 20 deer with a 2 blade and then has a poor blood trail so he switches to a 3 blade. The guy then kills 20 deer with the 3 blade but has 1 that didn't penetrate well so it's back to 2 blade. We are a fickle bunch.
DonD

Offline Mic'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
but... if ZWICKEY made a heavier broadhead

Would they sell ?
         What size inserts do you use on ZWICKEY ?
I am trying to end up with a 200 grain 2 blade head...  
          thanks
Shoot well ...be well !

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
I've always liked a big broadhead. In the 50's I used the "Goshawk" (remember those) a big broad 2 blade head. Then for years I used the Pearson "Deadhead" another big 2 blade. I used Zwicky Deltas with the bleeders for awhile and I tried the Magnus also. I've had good results with all of the above heads.

when I started shooting carbon arrows I used Steel Force and Razorcaps. I had a problen with some of the SteelForce being brittle but they've got that problem ironed out now.

Another head that I used in the past was the "Ace" broadhead and again I used the biggest 2 blade with good results. I'm going back to wood arrows this year and am going to be using the "Ace Super Express" in 200grs. I took another good look at them at the Expo in Kalamazoo and I really like them. I've been using the Ace Hex head blunt on small game for several years now and it's the best IMO.  http://www.bowsite2.com/aceshopping/index.asp?SID=2
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
... I'm going back to wood arrows this year and ...
Why switching from carbons?

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
The hardness on the Zwickeys I have used (I have used them quite a bit) was never consistent. Maybe they have changed something, I don't know.

The Magnus heads I have used are always EXACTLY the same.
That's the funny thing about discussing broadheads; different people can use the same equipment and have completely opposite results. I stopped shooting heads made by Magnus years ago because without fail there'd always be at least one spot on a head where even a new file wouldn't bite. Magnus II, Snuffers, Woodsmans...I always had that same problem. Maybe they've fixed it? I don't know. It's been a few years since I've bought any of their heads.

But I can't say I've ever had a problem with inconsistent temper or difficulty sharpening on anything I've tried from Ace, Grizzy, Zephyr or Zwickey.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
I think a lot of it is perception...I WANT Magnus to be a great head, because I have about 50 or 60 of them in my box ;0)

I do like Mike Sohms though, he posts on the internet quite a bit ( at least he used to) and I always liked the way he conducted himsself.

No question Zwickey builds a good head, or they wouldn't be around.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Why switching from carbons?
Jeff, I'm not saying that I'll quit shooting carbons totally but Cedar arrows and I go back a long ways, I've still got the wood arrow that  killed my first deer almost 50 years ago.

The last few years I've kind of abandoned them when those sleek slick new carbons turned my head.  I think it's time I got back to the old tried and true woodies. After all a good matched set of wood arrows will shot every bit as well as either carbon or aluminum, and nothing says traditional like a wood arrow. Carbons are tough, I'll give them that but like someone said "they have no soul"

Actually I've already started shooting wood arrows again. In the DVD Masters Of The Bare Bow, both my regular arrows and the Flu-Flu's that I shot aerials with were Cedar made by Paul Jalon of Elite Arrows.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Am I the only one shooting Zephyers?

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I shoot Zephyrs also, really good heads   :thumbsup:  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Jason, Funny you mention the hard spots. After my last post I went out to sharpen some new STOS heads this afternoon and had one that my new flat bastard file would not cut, but only on one side. Never had that occur before on any head.

Don't know why I keep messing with the different heads, just searching for perfection I guess.
DonD

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I think playing around with different arrows and heads is my favorite or one of my favorite parts of off season time lately.  Don't want to think how much money I have spent on different shafting and broadheads the last couple years.  I shoot thousands of broadheads and pick the one that shoots or should I say I shoot the best off a particular bow.  For whatever reason that always seems to be a two blade head of either the Grizzly or the Magnus I.  I had some Grizzly heads but didn't have em sharpened so I hunted with the Magnus this year and was very pleased.  When I hit a pressure treated 4x4 it stuck deep into the wood and I had to crack the head tip off to get it out.  I can't imagine you would need more than that strength for hunting anything.  Never tried the Z's...yet :-).
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
I've had mixed results with Magnus broadheads. Nothing but perfect performance with Zwickey. I also am not "married" to any broadhead, I just want one that works, stays sharp and is deadly. Eskimos are the best i've ever used.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Been shooting the Ace Super Express for two years. Shot zwickey, Magnus, Snuffers, Steelforce, etc for many years. I like how Ace heads sharpen, hold the edge, are wide and heavy, and fly great on various shafts. Especially my cedar that needs the heavy weight to weaken the spine.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
do you use the tru angle file system to sharpen your zwickies.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Howler, I think the tru angle works great on Zwickeys and Magnus.Once you set the bevel on a new head it only takes about 10 strokes to a side to restore a dull head to razor sharp. For some reason it cuts too much into the ferrul on the STOS. I changed my tru angle files to Flat bastard files from the mill bastard supplied. Quicker cut.

I've got to go back to the Grizzly sharpen threads so I can start playing with them. I guess I'm like Mr Seeking Trad Deer, always playing with the broadheads and arrows.
DonD

Offline Grizz 53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
Dave, Ever hunter Hollow Bend Game refuge. I hunted it years ago... saw a lot of deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©